Hello from sunny so cal.

Raskal311

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 5, 2012
Hi folks,

I’ve been reading and browsing this site for about two hours a day for the past two weeks. Since I’m picking up my chicks tomorrow I though I’d jump in a say hi.

I have a few question as well. Generally speaking in terms of egg production is it better to keep one breed in a coop/run vs. mix/rainbow? Also my goal is to end up with 4 egg producing hens, how many chicks should I start out with? I was thinking 8 then give way any extra I end up with at 6-8 weeks.

Last edited:
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from North MS!!! Glad you joined!! I don' t think it really matters if you have all the same breed or a mix unless you plan on hatching chicks to sell or something like that. And 8 is a good # to start with if you want 4 laying eventually, since you never know what's going to happen, and like you said, you can always sell them if you end up with more than you intended. Good luck with your new chicks!!

welcome-byc.gif

greetings neighbor!
where from so cal are you? i have a small mix flock so i can have at least 1 or 2 eggs a day... my marans, my best layer, is laying 1 egg a day... 4 or 5 days out of a week i get 3 at a time from my marans, leghorn and EE and it's always nice to collect blue,white and brown eggs. i also got a buff orpington becacuse they say they are good winter layers, but so far i am still waiting for her first egg...luckily for me my flock isn't all buff orps so i am not waiting and waiting hehe have fun whatever you decide you'll have a blast good luck

welcome-byc.gif

greetings neighbor!
where from so cal are you? i have a small mix flock so i can have at least 1 or 2 eggs a day... my marans, my best layer, is laying 1 egg a day... 4 or 5 days out of a week i get 3 at a time from my marans, leghorn and EE and it's always nice to collect blue,white and brown eggs. i also got a buff orpington becacuse they say they are good winter layers, but so far i am still waiting for her first egg...luckily for me my flock isn't all buff orps so i am not waiting and waiting hehe have fun whatever you decide you'll have a blast good luck
Central Orange County :)

Back
Top Bottom