Hello from Sunny Southern California!

SouthernCalBeachChick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
Southern California
I've been lurking here for awhile, so thought I should finally make a formal introduction. We live on 3 acres by Calabasas, California & have just begun our chicken adventures. We have 2 horses, 1 pony, a giant Leonberger outdoor dog, an indoor pomeranian, a Bengal cat, a Siamese cat & 2 Sulcata Tortoises & kids.
To be honest, I've always been a little bit afraid of chickens, probably due to some negative rooster encounters when I was a kid. Nevertheless, when I stopped at the feed store in the first week of June to purchase our weekly hay, something prompted me to ask about the chicks. I was thinking that we'd start with two, but they suggested 3 in case one didn't make it (sounds like chicks are the goldfish of the farm animal world). We left with 2 Buff Orpingtons(Sally & Omelette) who were described as super friendly, perfect pets & a Barred Rock (Spot). We covered the drain hole in a walk-in shower we don't use & used a flake of alfalfa hay for bedding. I purchased an adorable wooden decorative wagon on clearance at HomeGoods for them to perch on (They love it!).
The chicks were sweet, friendly & funny & we were hooked! Within a week, we had added a Black Sex-Link (Dot) & an Americauna (Flower) to our 'shower coop'.
Of course, the chicks led me to BYC where I discovered Silkies & Showgirls. We have now completed (at least for now) our flock with two black Silkies (Disco & Daiquiri) & 3 Partridge Showgirls (Lola, Martini & Ganzel).
We have the 5 Silkies all together in an enormous dog crate. We're planning two separate outdoor coop runs. I got an adorable handmade large dog house for free on Craigslist that I'm converting into a coop for the Silkies & I'm still looking for something suitable for the others.
I also got a portable dog exercise pen on Craigslist to bring the bigger kids outside for grazing. We've got tons of predators where we are: coyotes, hawks, snakes, owls...so I'm going to be very protective of our kids. Our neighbors with chickens who sell eggs weekly at the bus stop told me 'predators only eat the chickens with names'....
I'm sure I'll be stopping by regularly asking for advice & sharing our adventures. Looking forward to getting to know you guys!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I love how you were going to just get 2...and ended up with quite the flock!
big_smile.png

Hello from MN. We use to own a snow leopard bengal cat. A very expensive impulse buy from a pet store. Poor thing was very wild, but we gave her the best life we could. It's nice to meet you.
smile.png

Quote:
Our Bengal is an F1 & we adopted him since he was 'too wild' to breed. In fact, they told me they would have to tranquilize him to get him in a carrier to bring home. I sat on their floor, talked to him softly, he rubbed against my leg & walked right into my carrier. He sleeps on our bed, is great with the kids, & is curled up right next to me now. He's the best cat I've ever owned!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom