Hello from sWI

katnipjuice

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 25, 2012
Hello there, i recently moved to southern wisconsin from chicago and my town is allowing chickens for the first time. I am allowed 4 hens, and I was approved for my chicken permit!! I grew up with chickens on my grandmothers farm and i am eager to get some of my own. My father is super excited also to have some chickens away from the city.

I know this it just new member introductions but ill spill all the beans here. My town allows only four hens like I mentioned and must be in an enclosed run. My maximum dimensions are 24 sq ft for the coop and 100sq ft for the enclosed run. I was wondering if I should make my coop this maximum size for my chickens? Would it be too big? I do get extremes of both climates. But i definitely will make my run the max size I am allowed, the more room the happier the chickens i'm sure! We are hoping to acquire my neighbors old playground set for the coop but that is not a for sure yet. But i do have old barn wood from a friend that we will be using for the coop. I also have thought about the breeds I want. Most likely I would like 2 white leghorns(for max eggs), an easter egger(for the fun colored eggs), and a plymouth rock(like the type of chickens my grandmother had). I was thinking about a fun rare chicken or something instead of the 2nd leghorn, but I think we should get the most out of our chickens for the first couple years. When they stop laying i would like to use the chickens for meat and then start all over with new chicks(from what i understand mixing new and old chicks wouldn't be a great idea) but YUM fresh meat. I do have two dogs, so maybe i should get baby chickens vs older chickens to get everyone accustomed to each other? But i don't know how much harder it would be to have baby chickens.
well im sure this is waaaaaayy to much info for an introduction but there it is.

THANK YOU ALL
Kat

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas, katnipjuice, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Congratulations on acquiring chickens. I think making your coop the maximum size is wise. For one reason, the town you live in may change its mind and alllow more chickens some day. Another reason is that there is no "too big" in a coop. Chickens need about 4 sq. ft. per bird so your coop could accommodate 6 birds. But the 4 you are getting will be fine in the extra space. I like the idea of a big run as well since they must be confined. I also like the idea of getting them as chicks - I always intro my dogs to my new chicks and almost immediately the dogs see them as part of the family and actually become guardians! Plus, chicks are just so much fun!!! I love the breeds you are selecting as well. Best of luck in your chicken adventure!!!

Last edited:
Welcome, from Central WI. Congrats on your new adventure. I just got my chickens too. I'm sure you will enjoy whatever breed you decide on.

Back
Top Bottom