Hello from Syracuse!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tgrlily, Mar 12, 2009.

1. tgrlily

tgrlily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Hi... We're up here in lovely Central New York. Don't have chickens yet, but I've been looking on craigslist & we may start with some from Tractor Supply because I'd prefer to get them locally & most hatcheries I've found online have 5 chick per breed minimum.

My 16 year old daughter wants Silkies & our little guy(9) wants Dorkings & Ameraucanas... both want to show them, which I think is really cool. I'd like to build a pretty colorful flock with all sorts of breeds. Looking for Light Brahmas, Gold Laced Wyandottes, Plymouth Rocks, Salmon Faverolles, Holland & Buff Orpingtons. I'm open to suggestions too!

We went to an animal auction in Bridgeport last weekend, but they had no chicks. I read somewhere that there are other auctions fairly near here, but haven't been able to get any info. Anyone want to help a newbie out? We're willing to drive awhile. [​IMG]

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Welcome from North Carolina! [​IMG]

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

4. Andreab

Andreab Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Hi,
    I live about a hour north of syracuse in Copenhagen. You are the first person on here that I have found close to me !!!! I am just starting out with chickens too. I have six layers but I am looking to purchase chicken for my kids to show. I have been told that the chickens you get from tracter supply and other hatcheries are not good for show birds. Maybe if we are interested in the same types of birds we could get them shipped together, to cut are cost and keep them warmer.

5. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hello and welcome to BYC from NC. [​IMG]

6. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    From Old Town, Maine

7. tgrlily

tgrlily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Andreab,

Sounds good to me! I planned on getting the Wyandottes & maybe Barred Rocks from TSC, since they won't likely be for show. What breeds are you looking for?

Renee

8. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

10. Welcome to BYC and the chicken world . Thats great that your children are into showing ,by the way Silkies are Awesome [​IMG]

Fay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by