Hello From Tennessee!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mayapple, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Mayapple

Mayapple New Egg

Jul 29, 2011
    Hello!!! My name is April and I am so thankful for finding BYC! Just last week my husband and I were discussing how we need friends who have raised chickens so we can peck (hardy-har-har!) their brains..

I actually found BYC today while trying to figure out a method to lure my 18 month old peacock home from my neighbors house. We found the poor guy at a flea market in a ridiculously small cage and brought him home, figuring he couldn't be much different from chickens and that we'd be giving him a better home than being stuck with the flea market guy. (*Ahem* And yes, we are now very aware that peacocks are not the same as chickens... but we love him nonetheless!)

We also have a small flock of chickens...

1 Brauhma Rooster (Gorgeous guy named Brauhm!)
    2 Fat, happy Speckled Sussex (Collectively named 'The Velvets'. Anyone read Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere"?)
    1 RIR hen named Lucy
    2 black hens (Opal & Onyx)
    1 white hen that is BROODING right now! (Woot, woot! Her name is Pearl.)
    1 red pet hen named Pennyhen

I'm not 100% sure what the last 3 are. o_0 I'll have to ask my husband if he ever figured it out. We've kind of "collected" hens from here and there and not everyone has been able to tell us what they are. We're very new to raising chickens and learning breeds. All our feather-babies are free range, except at night they have a coop.

How we got into chickens: One Saturday morning my husband came home with 5 hens and a rooster. Just randomly showed up with them. Apparently a guy down the road was moving and sold us his small flock for $30. That was 2-3 months ago and we've kind of been obsessed with them ever since.. [​IMG]

Again, I'm so thankful to have found such an active and knowledgeable forum! I look forward to chatting with you all!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! Sounds like you are already well on your way! Glad you are here! [​IMG]

3. smarquis86

smarquis86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    welcome this forum will definitely have some one that will know the answer to your questions. if you dont know what the breeds are of your chickens just post pics and im sure some one will be able to help.

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hello, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. [​IMG] [​IMG] peacocks tend to run wild. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Hi April, and welcome to BYC. I'm from Tennessee, too - the Nashville area. There are Tennessee groups within BYC - you can look up the one that fits where you live - e.g. I"m in the Middle Tennessee group. Glad you're here!

6. RThomas

RThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    Welcome! And where are you in TN?

7. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    [​IMG]

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hello April and welcome to BYC.[​IMG] I also have a Speckled Sussex and they are my favorite chicken. Truly a sweet bird.

9. Sexybit

Sexybit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Hello from Ohio!!! Your story is so sweet about how you started your chickens!!! How fun!

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by