Hello From Texas Hill Country

FlatRockCreekRanch

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2022
Marble Falls, TX
Hello, my name is Katie Jo. I joined BYC forum & FB group in February of 2022. I am recently diving into the forum after submitting photos for the 2023 calendar.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am not new to chickens. I have kept them for about two years. My husband has kept them much longer than I. When I met him on Bumble, he had chickens. Since then we have lost some to predators, bought more, lost some of those to dogs, bought more, hatched our own eggs, bought fertile eggs, and hatched some more. I read books about chickens, scientific studies, talk chickens with others, and regularly watch and track my own flock's habits. I'm geeky about knowledge.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Currently, we keep 18 chickens, of which 3 are roosters.

(3) What breeds do you have?

We have some Rhode Island Reds, Leghorns, ISA Brown, Bantam Barred Rocks, Barnevelder, a Lavender Orpington X Barnevelder, Showgirl, Easter Eggers, and a Japanese Bantam.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love watching their social dynamics, the momma hens raising chicks is so adorable. Also, the excitement I get collecting eggs. Watching my Japanese Bantam run around with that sail for a tail is AMAZING

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I'm a knitter and enjoy cooking. Foraging local plants and making food from them is great. My husband and I are learning to fly airplanes.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Two kids, horses, cows, a donkey, two dogs, 13 guinea hens. I'm a retired roller derby player, and my husband is the most amazing man on earth.

Attachments

• kj chickenn.jpg
    kj chickenn.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 4
Hello, my name is Katie Jo. I joined BYC forum & FB group in February of 2022. I am recently diving into the forum after submitting photos for the 2023 calendar.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am not new to chickens. I have kept them for about two years. My husband has kept them much longer than I. When I met him on Bumble, he had chickens. Since then we have lost some to predators, bought more, lost some of those to dogs, bought more, hatched our own eggs, bought fertile eggs, and hatched some more. I read books about chickens, scientific studies, talk chickens with others, and regularly watch and track my own flock's habits. I'm geeky about knowledge.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Currently, we keep 18 chickens, of which 3 are roosters.

(3) What breeds do you have?
We have some Rhode Island Reds, Leghorns, ISA Brown, Bantam Barred Rocks, Barnevelder, a Lavender Orpington X Barnevelder, Showgirl, Easter Eggers, and a Japanese Bantam.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love watching their social dynamics, the momma hens raising chicks is so adorable. Also, the excitement I get collecting eggs. Watching my Japanese Bantam run around with that sail for a tail is AMAZING

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I'm a knitter and enjoy cooking. Foraging local plants and making food from them is great. My husband and I are learning to fly airplanes.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Two kids, horses, cows, a donkey, two dogs, 13 guinea hens. I'm a retired roller derby player, and my husband is the most amazing man on earth.
Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom