Hello from Texas, USA

Ricky Tricky

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 19, 2013
Hi all,
I'm, more or less, a city boy living in a suburban area and I'm brand new to chickens. I live in an area that rarely sees freezing temps, even in the dead of winter. I don't have any birds yet but I have built a tractor that I think will be good for 3 to 4 hens. I'll not keep rooster's out of respect for my neighbors, I just want good egg production. I'm leaning toward red stars from what I've read so far but any suggestions on quieter breeds that will do well in my situation will be appreciated. Thanks for all the useful info I have gained from this site already. It's a pleasure to share and learn from you all.

RT

welcome-byc.gif
Love the pics of your tractor! There are lots of great chicken breeds - I'm partial to Speckled Sussex and Marans. Our hens are fairly quiet and they're very good natured...the roosters on the other hand...If you're trying to keep things quiet for your neighbors, no roosters is probably a good plan.

goodpost.gif
I agree with HoneyDreameMom. Speckled Sussex are fantastic; they are very personable and mellow. I have four of them, and they are clowns. My marans are also full of personality (I have blue, black, wheaten, and splash). They are all a lot of fun, and keep me on my toes. I also have Americaunas and Brahmas. The Americaunas lay a lovely blue egg, and though they are a bit more moody than my other breeds; they are still great birds (no problems with them being mean or anything like that). Brahmas are my favorite. They are sweet with fantastic personalities, but they are BIG, and need a little extra shade in the Texas heat, but they are real beauties.

In your situation I think Sussex or Marans would be great. They are relatively quiet, lay about 5 or 6 eggs a week. The Maran eggs are known for their phenomenal flavor. Anyway hope this helps.
Feel free to ask questions because the forum is great about answering them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom