Hello from Texas!

TexasChkn

Hatching
Feb 29, 2016
So my husband and I finally took the leap and got 6 chicks. 4 orpington and 2 australorp. We are brand new to raising chickens and they areally 4 days old. Other than standard temperature/ cleaning stuff and pasty butt is there anything else I need to be watching for? Thanks and I'm excited to be here!

Hi and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
The only thing i would suggest is to observe your chicks. If they are huddled together then they are cold and if they are avoiding the heat source like the plague, with beaks open, they are too warm. Chicks should alternate between warming themselves for a little while under the heat source and then bombing around, doing chick stuff.

If you check out the Learning Centre, you'll find a whole host of resources on all things chicken. Your state thread is worth joining as you will get to know other BYC members in your area (just type your state in the search box). In fact, the search box should become your best friend
cid:72343587-E4D5-49FE-ABD9-FC042197A8B2
Lastly but by no means least, the members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
CT

Oops, a double post...no worries, it happens. It just gives me a chance to say hello again!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom