1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from the cool side of Hell's Canyon!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PirateFarmer, Mar 28, 2012.

1. PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    I've got a small donkey-powered farm on rented land on the banks of the Salmon River - 17 miles east of Hell's Canyon. Gotat, produce, rabbits, dogs, donkeys (my "working girls") and soon 25 "mystery breed" chicks from Sand Hills Preservation, to give me working experience w/ the birds, before I invest in some Buckeyes. My parents had 150 chickens, when I was growing up (the farm is now a runway at O'Hare Airport near Chicago)...unfortunately, I only remember bits and pieces of what it was like...
    I'm looking forward to learning here!

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Hello from another donkey farm! I have 15 but they are all pretty much "lazy asses". Welcome and enjoy your chickens!

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. We only have two donkeys, but they're so much fun [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. Glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I have always enjoyed my Sandhill birds, they have sent me several "surprises" over the years - I have a few in the brooder right now that I am waiting to identify.

8. PirateFarmer

Mar 28, 2012
    Thanks, all, for the warm welcome!
    Joedie: I've always wondered...how many wee donkeys does it take to add up to one large-standard? I've got two - one is 48", the other is 52".
    1muttsfan: That's actually what Sand Hills calls them: "Mystery chickens"! They're leftovers from his breeding experiments for a pastured-poultry bird, various crosses he plays with, and whatever odds & ends chicks needed to fill out the order...at $33 total (including shipping) for 25 chicks, I figure it's a good deal for me to learn on, before I invest in the Buckeyes.

9. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I have 12 mini's and 3 mammoths. The minis ave 250-350 lbs and the mammoths are 750-900 lbs. I would imagine your standards are about 600-700? I this what you are asking?

10. PirateFarmer

Mar 28, 2012
    Joedie: Yup! (Although I was really just teasin' ya!). My two girls are *ahem* a bit phat (can't use the "f" word around females, ya know), at 625# and 775#...usually Little Bit (48") is 550-575, and Jenny-Mae (52") is 750 or so - she's a "shorty' = parents are mammoth stock, but she never made it up to the minimum height requirements...although she doesn't let that stop her - she's built like a nice draft mammoth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by