Hello from the desert...

Deathspeaker

Hatching
Jan 7, 2016
Phoenix Arizona
I'm M and I'm from Phoenix, Arizona. I don't currently have any chickens but I plan on getting some once I have everything in my yard set up for them. I used to live in a condo so didn't have a yard of my own for 15 years, now I do and I want some darned chickens!

I've lived in the valley my whole life, born and raised. I'm doing a lot of research on which breeds handle the heat the best and plan on building the chicken coop myself, as I wish to learn carpentry it should be a fun project. My eldest brother already his his coop built and wants his own few layers.

As for me I want duel purpose chickens. Meat and eggs. I've... never slaughtered a chicken before... much less killed anything larger than a bug >_< but I want to learn to be more self sufficient and have control over the food I eat. To that end I also plan on having some raised garden beds!

I'm not sure how popular it is to discuss chickens as food is on this forum, given how many view them as pets. So I apologize in advance if that's a touchy topic.

I currently have one dog, Bilbo Baggins, six month old Australian Shepherd, Kuro, the black half-Siamese cat, Ichigo, fluffy Prince of the house and Vash, a fat old cat who loves everyone in the world.

In no particular order some pictures!

Vash

Ichigo

Kuroneko-Sama (in a scarf knit for my brother who lives where it actually can get a bit nippy)

And Bilbo Baggins (named by my Father)

I live with my Father who is retired, we're both disabled and Bilbo will be trained to be our therapy dog. He's still a puppy and Aussies are a willful breed so he's a handful to train!

Call me M or Deathspeaker, I've got a lot to learn and I'm happy to hear whatever details y'all can share with me :3

Hi there and congratulations on having a yard for your impending flock. BYC is a great place to talk anything and everything chicken!

Ct

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Given the summer heat in the Phoenix area, I would suggest going with Australorps as they take heat considerably better than any of the other dual purpose breeds, which is not surprising when you consider that they are frequently raised in the Australian outback which gets very hot in the summer. I raised them in the Corning, CA area where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (sometimes more) and while my other dual purpose breeds were listless, panting, and holding their wings out at their sides, my Australorps were going about their usual business like troopers. The Mediterranean breeds such as Leghorns are also heat resistant, but they are lighter bodied egg layers and not dual purpose breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Thank you for the nice greetings! I looked up the Australorp and it does look perfect! I'll suggest it to my brother too since it is such a good layer ;)

I look forward to learning and making friends!

Thank you for the nice greetings! I looked up the Australorp and it does look perfect! I'll suggest it to my brother too since it is such a good layer
wink.png

I look forward to learning and making friends!

You're welcome. And you're right; Australorps are excellent layers. They are also typically very calm and gentle birds; great lap pets. :eek:)

Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock . Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. I think you would enjoy posting on your state thread as well and maybe find some chicken folks to be friends with. Just put ' Arizona thread' in the above search box, and it should pop up.

Back
Top Bottom