Hello from the face of the sun!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Silkiebawkbawk, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Silkiebawkbawk

Silkiebawkbawk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Laveen, AZ
    HI, I'm new here. Obviously. [​IMG]

My name is Haley and I live in Laveen, Arizona. My boyfriend and I bought our first home together about a year ago and named it Finally Farm respectively. (it's taken a lonnng time!) My first love is horses. I have two american saddlebred mares, a national show horse gelding, and a mini-hinny.

Now onto the stuff you guys want to know.. I just purchased my first flock if chickens! I've always wanted chickens and now that the farm is pretty much settled we constructed a run and coop and started researching breeds that were suitable to the heat of Arizona AND ones that I'd like. I settled on silkies because of their uniqueness and reputation for being docile sweet puppydog chickens. I'm SO pleased with my girls! I hav one white, one splash, and one black, all about 6 weeks old. For now I want to just enjoy them and maybe reap the rewards of some home-grown eggs, but in the future I'd like to start a breeding program as it was VERY difficult for me to find anyone in the area that raised quality silkies. I don't have a roo yet as I was just not impressed with anything I found. None were worthy of passing on their genes to another generation.. But I plan on attendign the state fair poultry shos this year and hopefully buying a nice show and breeding quality roo this fall. I have a pekin drake too. He's moving to the backyard instead of the coop though because I think he needs a more proper ducky friend. [​IMG]

Anyways, I've been on this forum before, but mostly just lurked around without a user name.. But I think the chicken bug has bitten me and I'm here to stay!

Here's some pics of my new girls. I just picked them up last Saturday. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^From left to right: Snowball, Ling-Ling, and Paisley
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^Peewee the duck watching over his girls.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Silkiebawkbawk

Silkiebawkbawk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Laveen, AZ
    thank you!!

FYI, my boyfriend LIVES for Shiner boch beer! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    WELCOME!!!! and Congratulations!

[​IMG]

5. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] from Oklahoma! [​IMG]

6. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    [​IMG] from South Carolina!

Love the pictures! [​IMG]

7. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    [​IMG] They sure are pretty babies! I'd like some silkies one day. You'll find lots of info on this site on breeding and genetics.

8. jujubee

jujubee Feather Hill Farm

Mar 3, 2011
    [​IMG] from Ohio

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Very cute babies [​IMG] The Pekin watching over them is so cute. [​IMG] Congrats & good luck [​IMG]

10. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Hi from NC [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by