Hello from the farm

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by raecarrow, Jan 4, 2017.

1. raecarrow

raecarrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    Hello everyone,

We started on our chicken adventure earlier this year. We got two batches of chicks from neighbors and it has been quite and adventure. We got our first batch of 7 chicks (dom/dom crosses) at the beginning of May and we got our second batch of 17 chicks (leghorn/leghorn crosses) in the middle of July. We will be getting a batch of 30 Buff Orpingtons from Murray MacMurray at the end of this month. We slaughtered our first leghorn roo this past Saturday, and had him for dinner last night. He was scrawny with only just enough meat on him for the 5 adults in the family but the meat was tasty and had a lot of fat in it. I have 7 more leghorn roos to slaughter over the next month or so. In our laying flock we have 9 leghorn/leghorn cross hens, 3 pure dom hens, 2 dom/buff orps hens, 1 dom/RI red hen and a dom/RI red roo we call General Tso.

Looking forward to being part of the community.

Thanks,
    Rae

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Rae, welcome to BYC, and good luck with your flock. Leghorn roosters make great fryers .

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi, Rae and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. It appears chicken maths has you firmly in its grasp [​IMG]. Please make yourself at home here.

Best wishes
    CT

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Rae, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! :)

5. LauraBrown

LauraBrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! :D

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Rae. [​IMG]

7. raecarrow

raecarrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    I got an interesting surprise earlier. one of our leghorn crosses must be part Easter Egger. I found a green tinted egg in their run today.

8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us Rae!

9. NordicChick

NordicChick Just Hatched

Jan 4, 2017
    North Central Texas
    Hi, Rae! Welcome to BYC! It's so awesome that you got to try one of your own home grown chickens last night! Yum! I remember the first time my husband and I culled a couple of the extra cockerels we had running around here...lol! We taught ourselves how to process chickens that day, and let me tell you...it took ALL day! And I was so used to the hybrid chicken meat from the market that when I saw the comparatively small amount of meat that came off our birds, let's just say, I was Not Impressed! It's been a few years now and we have adjusted our expectations, plus we have a better processing system down... We can easily process all of our extra cockerels (10-12) start to freezer in a day's time now. Congrats on the surprise green egg! Now you just need a slice of ham:p

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under raecarrow [​IMG] Welcome!

Congrats on the green egg! I think I need to add some colour to the egg basket [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by