1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from the Four Corners (NM)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by svenskavessla, Aug 21, 2014.

1. svenskavessla

svenskavessla Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2014
    Hi everyone,
    I'm Heather- from a little town in northwestern New Mexico (browsing I didn't see many other NM people...), but I'm pretty close to the "Four Corners" (where NM, AZ, CO & UT meet). I live- well, not exactly in town but close enough that I wasn't planning on getting chickens. My best friend however (who lives about 3 hours away in Albuquerque), really wanted some because she and her family eat lots of eggs. Her husband had always refused to consider it though. But while he was out of town on a business trip she and I had to stop at her local feed store for... something (I forget what) and they had day old chicks. Which she fell in love with and since I'm a horrible influence, (and I delight in annoying her husband), we returned home with 3. And then later went back and got 4 more. And then another 3 so now she has an even 10. Which I might add her husband loves and thinks was the best decision ever :D But on to how *I* got chickens! My boyfriend was from Sweden and he was a close friend of my best friend also. So when I was thinking of a Christmas present for her last year, I came across blommehöns- the Swedish Flower Hen. Ah, what a perfect gift! I found a wonderful breeder and after the weather warmed up two *beautiful* pullets arrived! She named them Anna and Elsa after the movie "Frozen". My friend was ecstatic! She carefully integrated them with her flock and all was well. However about a month later, Elsa was injured on a loose wire in the run, and when the other hens saw blood... sadly she was pecked to death. My friend was devastated and cried for weeks. And to make matters worse, Anna was now without her sister for support and the other hens began to bully her horribly. My friend knew she could not keep Anna any longer, for her own safety. But both of us felt had very strong emotional attachment to Anna, and so- even though I was not planning on chickens... Anna came to live with me. I found someone who was selling a very nice coop and run, and now Anna is looking very happy and healthy. She starting laying about a month ago and I get about 5 eggs a week. But I didn't expect to fall SO in love with not only Anna but the breed itself! She is just delightful and I very much look forward everyday to spending time with her, and my "chicken duties". I began researching more about keeping chickens, the different types and personalities... It's been a very good project as my boyfriend passed away this year (the friend from Sweden I mentioned). It's probably no surprise I have taken quite a liking to the Scandinavian breeds. And so I asked Anna's breeder if this season she could put aside another 2 Swedish Flower pullets, and also 2 Isbars for me. They will be arriving when the weather cools down, and I am really looking forward to adding to my "flock". I have also been coming the local ads and found a WONDERFUL coop and run in Colorado- it's pretty far (about 5 hours from me, most of that is because the roads are not exactly freeways to get there), and I just need to get someone to help me go get it. Or rather, I need to bribe a friend who owns a truck and trailer to go get it. But then I am planning on expanding more (next year). It's a wonderful hobby.
    I do have other pets (I'm really more of an animal person, and less of a people person)- with 2 dogs, 2 cats, 4 parrots (2 cockatoos, 1 amazon and a conure), 4 ferrets and a snake. I think that's it... really informative website!

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! Sounds like "chicken math" has hit again (most all of us are very familiar with that). If you have any questions, feel free to ask, there are a lot of very knowledgeable folks here. Also, if you haven't already, check out the Learning Center for some really helpful articles.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Here here....down in the south central mountains of New Mexico!! Great to see another New Mexican on board! There are lots of us here on BYC. You will run into them occasionally. We do have a state thread you can connect with some of them here...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/18195/new-mexico

I am glad you could give this bird a good home. :) Sounds like she is happy and laying you all kinds of eggs! When you do get these new birds, make sure to introduce them all slowly. As you have seen, they can kill each other, especially if they are unfamiliar with each other. There is a pecking order that needs to be adhered and worked out in a slow manner.

So when you get these new birds, keep them in a cage or fenced off area in the coop and run. Let everybody see your hen and she sees them. Let these newbies stay caged for about 3 weeks. You can then mix them in. Put out extra feed and water stations so nobody has to compete for sustenance. Of course watch them all carefully that week and always intervene if it turns bloody.

Here is a nice article from our learning center on mixing in new birds to a flock...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and we are so glad you could join our community!

4. svenskavessla

Aug 21, 2014
    Hi,
    Yes I already have an area set up and waiting that will be attached but separate from the main run. My breeder was nice enough to put the ones I am taking in the brooder together so they are used to each other (even though they are different breeds, and their will be a slight age gap). I know I will have to be careful but I'm very dedicated to making it work. My friend has about a year head-start on me with chickens so she is good for some advice; but yes, I do like to ask around! And also since I am interested in breeds that I'm definitely not going to be finding at my local feed store (ha!), I am looking into possibly buying fertile eggs and incubating. But that would be later. As you said, chicken math! (Which has struck me at different times- as I have done ferret rescue, and I foster for the state parrot rescue, so yes- all sorts of animal math goes on in my house!)

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Two Crows gave you good advice.

I love your avatar!!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Glad you are able to give Anna a home, good luck with the rest of the flock when they arrive.

7. svenskavessla

Aug 21, 2014

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
  8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

9. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC!

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Good luck with your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by