Hello from the hilltop forest of NSW Australia

1000years

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2016
NSW, Australia
hi everyone!

I have been reading articles and forum posts on this great site for a few years,
But now a tricky question that my local friends can't answer has encouraged me to become a member..
Next I will be posting my question in the chicken health forum.

We live in a rural area and our chooks free range.
We are lucky we don't have any trouble with chicken-eating creatures like foxes etc. so we let our chooks take them selves to bed and let themselves out in the morning.

This makes life easier but we do have to go funny places to collect eggs, like on top of my husbands travel bag stored on top of a wardrobe on the veranda..which means he had to find a different bag to take on a recent trip! We wouldn't want to disturb a regular laying spot!

Look forward to being part of this great community
JO

Hi Jo, very nice to meet you. Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Did you know there is also "Australia, six states and one funny little island," in case you want to see what others are doing around you.

Hi Jo, welcome to BYC! Laying can be a problem with free range hens. In order to develop good laying habits, people will confine them to the coop/run for a few days to hopefully encourage them to lay in the nesting boxes. You could also put some golf balls in the nest boxes. Then, once they're laying in the nest box, they can free range again. Good luck and thanks for joining us!
smile.png

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
That is the kind of thing I would do, get a new bag instead of disturbing the birds! lol Welcome to the hobby!

Wow what a lovely welcome , thank you all!

If anyone has experience in diagnosing 'fatty liver' I have posted a question in the EMERGENCY thread

Thanks for the good advice on the free range laying... luckily at this point we know where everyone has their nest!

I'll go and find the Australia gang... good idea

:)
Jo

Back
Top Bottom