Hello from the Midwest

I'm still in the research phase, so don't have any chick's yet but I'm so excited to get started!! I'm currently experiencing coop design overload. Building my own is not an option and I'm just not sure where to get a good one.
Can't wait to meet some of you experienced flock owners!
Welcome to BYC!!

Thank you all for the warm welcomes and the advice! We have decided to try and find something we can convert, or to find plans and make our own.
Excellent. It will save you a lot of time and money. I wasted so much money and time with pre-manufactured coops; and when the first didn't work, I bought a second thinking I needed two - so I made the mistake twice. Here are some of the reasons: they only fit about 1/2 of the chickens they say they do, and this is while sleeping-none of them are adequate if you need the chickens to be in the coop during wake time (inclement weather, etc..). Secondly, in most of the pre-manufactured coops the roosting bars are too close together which leads to unnecessary pecking. And lastly, ventilation is poor.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the warm welcomes and the advice! We have decided to try and find something we can convert, or to find plans and make our own.
Go visit any local shed builders and see if they have any old sheds that were removed from peoples properties you might be able to get delivered to you. Then the obvious of looking on your local CL and FB Marketplace. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom