Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Serendiba, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Serendiba

Serendiba New Egg

Oct 11, 2012
    Hello chicken loving peeps! :)

I am a totally new chicken mom from the Seattle area, and I'm super excited about raising chickens with my family.

About me: I am a full time student working on my masters of science in nursing, and a step-mom to 2 elementary age boys, so basically... I'm super busy all the time! I love photography, coffee, and traveling adventures- my faves are India, Sri Lanka, Czech Republic, and Morocco so far :) And of course, hanging out in our little cozy house watching some netflix on a rainy day (which is everyday for about 8 months here, lol). I've been a city girl my whole life, but always wanted chickens...and finally in my late 20s, fullfilling that dream! :)
    So enough about me-- about my chickens! [​IMG]

I bought 3, 2 week old chicks about 5 weeks ago from a local farmer who breeds chickens. They are supposedly ( I have my suspisions on 1 though, all girls...pullets i think they are called?) They are 1 of each:

-Barred Plymouth Rock
    -White Easter-Egger/Americana
    -Black Australorp (who is clearly now not a black australorp...feathery feet, cochin body, and bright red combs already...eek!... I will do separate post on her (him?)

We have a cute little coop pre-made Ware brand. They live inside now in our guest room, but are moving out next week, and will be free range in the backyard in the day, sleep in the coop at night. I'm a bit worried about wet weather and cold... but from what I've read, I think it'll be ok. Also predators... so any tips are appreciated!

Looking forward to being here and learning from all of you....please excuse my lack of knowledge, but I hope to learn.

Cheers from rainy but cozy Seattle!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

3. JNB

JNB Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Graham, WA.
    Welcome.. Im also from the lovely state of Washington. Not far from Seattle I visit there often :)
    Im glad you have joined here.. this is a fantastic site full of information and great people. If your interested in making some Local connections with fellow chicken keepers. there is a Washington Thread on the site In "Where Are You" It a very fast moving thread but full of some great people.

Hope to see you again in the post :)

4. PFSfarmer

PFSfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    TEXAS
    My Coop
    There is a lot of great people and information here.....[​IMG]

5. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Serendiba, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here Send some of the Washington rain my way!!! Love your enthusiasm for your chickens. Best of luck to you!!

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and[​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

9. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from another in washington state glad you joined us!

10. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by