Hello from the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hermitage Hens, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Hermitage Hens

Hermitage Hens Just Hatched

Been lurking around here on BackYard Chickens reading and learning every day for a while so need to come out in the open. I am strictly a newbie. Don't even know anyone with chickens but have always wanted some since I was a child and visited my great grandmother in Botetourt County VA. Well I'm old enough now to be a great grandmother myself and finally have chickens!

My chickens are 5 RSL pullets that I got from the local ag coop 2 weeks ago. All I know about age is that they were between the age of 15 to 22 weeks on March 18th. No eggs yet so they were probably at the younger end of this range. 4 are dark red with some little bit of white and the 5th has a lot of different colors. Because of some of her feathers I think she had a Silver Lace Wyandotte mother.

I am retired from the big city (where I did inside work with no heavy lifting as they say) and have been living for the last 13 years on 40 acres (no mule) surrounded by livestock operations. We used to rent our pasture for steers but now just lease for hay. Hen house is a converted goat shed. I have a very patient and hard working husband, a German Shepherd, a Doberman, and 3 cats.

Love this Backyard Chickens website.!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Hermitage Hens, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! Sounds like a thin slice of heaven in the Shenandoah Valley! Glad you are enjoying your flock! If you'd like to chat with fellow VA poultry folks, find your state thread in the link below and say howdy: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    And if you haven't come across the Learning Center yet, it is packed with many great and informative articles on all aspects of chicken keeping: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Best wishes and thank you for joining BYC! [​IMG]

3. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You can post photos at "what breed or gender is this."

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Hermitage Hens [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

6. ECarter1217

ECarter1217 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2017
    meridian ms
    Greetings from Mississippi [​IMG]

7. ninjawesome

ninjawesome Currently being awesome Premium Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Wild, Wild West
    Hey there and [​IMG]! We're glad you joined the flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by