Hello from the Texas Hill Country!

Glad to meet you. Sorry about the poor hatch. You can read more about hatching and incubating eggs here. Most Forum lists will have "sticky" topics listed at the very top. Pay attention to those, as they have been picked out as the most useful items.

What an interesting flock! I had to read about Icelandic (or Islandic) chickens - what a cool and interesting landrace. Best wishes with your flock and all your plans!

HCoop brought back to life! We rebuilt a coop abandoned for 25 years. Sourced all needed materials from the barns, sheds and wood from an old corral.
We were then gifted 7 laying hens and a very handsome Rooster. We have 3 Islandic hens, 3 Welsummer hens,1 Rhode Island Red and an Islandic rooster. We also have 8 10 week old pullets. 4 Delaware, 3 Barred Rock and 1 Dominique.
I recently set eggs as a classroom life cycle project. It did not go well. I only had 1 successful hatch?? Not sure what I did wrong.
Looking forward to gaining knowledge from y’all!
Welcome from over in the Houston area.
The number one thing that kills quickly and incubation is overheating.

Always make sure you have no less than one extra calibrated thermometer in your incubator.
I keep four in my incubator at all times so I can tell the temperature in multiple spots at one glance.

A second thing that is extremely important is to make sure you do not have your humidity too high.

Humidity gauges can be purchased at Walmart for about $10. Consult test them for free at home to make sure they're reading correctly.

Never and I mean never trust a built-in thermometer or humidity reading of any incubator.

Back
Top Bottom