Hello from The Texas Hill Country

jasperito

Hatching
Apr 30, 2015
Texas
Hello,
My name is Emily. I live in Central Texas and joined the site this morning.
We acquired 20 buff orpingtons last summer on short notice. I've never owned chickens before so we've been winging it with the help of lots of Google searches...since so many of my search results have led me to this page and found answers to my questions I decided to join. :)
I love my BO's and looking forward to sharing stories and learning more from the more experienced and knowledgable folks here.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Buff Orpingtons are great birds! Good luck with your chickens.
smile.png

Nice to meet you Emily, Buff orps are a popular breed to have, they are generally sociable and the hens go broody from time to time. If you want to raise chicks, you would need a rooster for that. Otherwise hens will lay just as many eggs without one - they just won't be fertile. Welcome to the BYC flock.

Thank you for the warm welcome. :)
GaryDean26, you're not far from me. We live between Burnet and Bertram.
As I said before, we acquired 20 chickens last summer...4 roosters and 16 hens. Unfortunately we are down to 1 rooster and 7 hens from the original flock due to predators (we allow them to free range during the day; but lock them up at night). But thanks to a some reading, and maybe equal parts luck we have 16 chicks that we hatched from the incubator and one of the "original" hens got broody for the first time and hatched 9 of her own. I've really enjoyed my experiences from start to now.
As a newcomer is there another place here where I should post questions?

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! If you have specific questions, the best way to get answers is to post them in the forum that seems to relate most directly to the question, ie if you have a sick bird post in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum etc ... main forum page ... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/

Thank you for the warm welcome.
smile.png

GaryDean26, you're not far from me. We live between Burnet and Bertram.
As I said before, we acquired 20 chickens last summer...4 roosters and 16 hens. Unfortunately we are down to 1 rooster and 7 hens from the original flock due to predators (we allow them to free range during the day; but lock them up at night). But thanks to a some reading, and maybe equal parts luck we have 16 chicks that we hatched from the incubator and one of the "original" hens got broody for the first time and hatched 9 of her own. I've really enjoyed my experiences from start to now.
As a newcomer is there another place here where I should post questions?
There is a thread for just about everything. If you want to find others in our area you can post on the Texas threads (there are 2-3 of them). There is an Orpington thread (that my brother is always on) if you want to learn what makes an Orpington an Orpington and how to breed them to stay true to the breed standard. If you want to learn about preditor control there are discussion for that. If you want to learn about flock management (housing, feed, vacinations, external parasite control, worming, illness prevention, etc.) there are discussion for all of those topics too.

Yep...we just sold our home and were wanting to move up to the area between Burnet and Bertram. I however got my papers from HO yesterday for a transfer to McAlester, OK so that changes our plans. :)

Hmm....I bet there is a thread on here for moving out of state with chickens. :)

Back
Top Bottom