Hello from the thumb (Michigan)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by smithnan, Jun 26, 2016.

1. smithnan

smithnan Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2012
    The Thumb- Michigan
    Hi,

Hi there. My name is Nancy, but you can call me SMITHNAN, lol, bet you can't guess my last name! It took a while for me to join BYC because whenever I had a question, I would just search on it, and SOMEONE had been through it before. Eventually I joined and now 4 years later, I guess it's time to introduce myself.

About 4-5 years ago, our next door renter sent his son to shoot all the (100 or so) chickens, turkeys, and ducks they had before they moved out. They were only about 6 months old, just getting to be a good age! The boy dressed some of them and put them in the fridge, others he just left. Also forgot to plug in the fridge, lol, EWWWWEEEE!!

As caretakers, my hubby and I helped maintain, rent/sell the property. One day he and our dogs flushed up a couple chickens. Hubby was going to go do them in. I said "NOOO! They lived through a Michigan winter (it's not exactly the tropics here, lol!) they didn't get shot, they didn't get eaten, they didn't starve! You can't kill them!" I thought we would feed them till someone bought the place, but the next thing I knew, he was building a coop for them. I had always wanted chickens; he had always said no, so yay!!

So we started with those- 2 sexlinks and a Rhode Island Red. They were so skinny, but just a couple weeks later they started laying eggs, and we were addicted!!!

Now we have about 15 adults, and various onsey -twosey babies. We have Black Copper Marans, Jubilee Orpingtons Lavender Ameracaunas, and of course our egg laying standby's Rhode Island reds.

I knew absolutely nothing whatsoever about chickens, so I did a lot of goggling, and most of the answers led me to BCY. Eventually I joined as a member, in 2012.

I often call this "the slippery slope to chicken addiction", we now have 3 separate coops and areas and talk about making more. Hubby has limited me to 3 "cool breeds" that we want to keep separate, but no limit (so far) on standard layers. By the way- a number of our friends have noted, he seems to be at least as addicted as I am, if not more so...

All this said - every day, I feel like I am very new to chicken keeping. I’m thankful to everyone who has provided useful info to me, and when I’m able to help someone else, it makes me feel like I won a prize!

Sorry this was so long....

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So glad you took in the survivors. Hope you don't get any more renters like that. What a shame

1 person likes this.
  3. uncertainty

uncertainty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Holy smokes, that was a heck of an introduction to poultry keeping. Do you still have the original 3 ladies? If so, it would be very cool if you posted their photo to the site.

1 person likes this.
  4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] I am so glad you did decide to join us. ( doesn't matter how long it took you to decide :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Nancy and welcome to BYC - its great that you have joined us and i hope that you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. smithnan

May 23, 2012
    The Thumb- Michigan
    Thanks everyone. We don't have any of the originals, the last one passed last winter. I'm glad we were there to rescue them, i just love having chickens and can't even imagine not having them.

8. smithnan

May 23, 2012
    The Thumb- Michigan
    ok, just one little question- i don't quite get the thumbs up thing-- i tried to give thumbs up, as i would on Facebook, but it wants a comment and add to reputation? i wasn't sure what to do...

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

You can add a comment or leave it blank. It adds an ovation to a member's profile.

1 person likes this.
  10. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Wow, that really is quite a crash course in chicken keeping! It's great that you kept them, and even better that it led to a chicken addiction! [​IMG]
    And [​IMG]. Glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by