Hello from the thumb of Michigan!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sixmurphys, Apr 21, 2009.

1. sixmurphys

sixmurphys New Egg

Apr 21, 2009
    Hello, my husband and I have 4 children and we are considering setting up a chicken coop for our own farm fresh eggs.

There are a bunch of baby chicks at our local Tractor Supply store, but how do I know what kind to get? How do I tell if they are girls? I'm also wondering how many we should start out with. A coupe dozen eggs a week would be about right for our family.

Can I go and buy the chicks and put them in the bathtub while we are building the coop? I don't want them to all be gone by time we are really ready for them!

Sorry so many questions... I will be off to go and read some more now!

Thanks!

Kim

2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Welcome Kim!

You will have to check out the Michigan thread.

As for chicks...I always order from a hatchery. That way I know what I am getting are pullets (girls) and what breed.

PM me and I can recommend a few hatcheries.

Sarah

3. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

I will try to answer a few of your questions. Make sure you get out of a bin that says pullet, straight run could be either. You will just have to do your research to see which chicks will suit you best. I suppose a bathtub could be used as a brooder. Just make sure you keep a heat lamp on them and feed and water. There is a lot of good information on this site. Read, read, read, and then sit back and enjoy your chickens!

4. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    yes, welcome to byc.

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Kim and [​IMG] from S. Florida. enjoy your endevor in chickenhood! You'll love it!

7. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Hello from Indiana and [​IMG]

8. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    [​IMG] from SW Indiana.
    I'm new to this also and started with 12 pullets from local feed store. I kept them in a box in the basement with a brood light on. They are still there and will go to the coop this weekend when it's finished.
    I bought a book on chickens to find out what kind to get. Look for the traits you want such as cold tolerant?, docile, egg production, broodiness,etc.
    I ended up with 2 of each (Rhode Island red. Barred rock, buff orpington, black sexlinks, black australorps and silver-laced wyandottes).
    You can learn more from this site than anywhere! It is addictive.

Good Luck!

9. sixmurphys

sixmurphys New Egg

Apr 21, 2009
    Thank you so much for the friendly welcome!

We have a large shed 12x16 in the back yard. I'm thinking we could build the coop off one side of the shed. They would have a decent size run area, part of it shaded with trees.

Our local store has "assorted pullets" and comets??? There was one bin that had week olds and they were only $1 a piece.

This is going to be fun!

10. Lil_Chickadee

Lil_Chickadee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    WV
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by