Hello from the U.K

ChickenkeeperD

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2015
Hi,

I'm Danielle from the U.K :) I have kept chickens before, we had some Battery hens for a while but have a long break before being given the opportunity to have some chicks. I'm having one cockerel and one hen and hopefully getting 3 more hens to go with them but can only seem to find one week old chicks.

The chicks I will be getting (one male & one female) will be around 4 weeks old and I'm a bit confused about if they still need heat as I read some places that they can go outside and others that they need heat.

So what do you all think? Here in the uk it's still cold outdoors and although most frost has ended now, there is the odd chance of it.

Thanks all,

Danielle x

Hi, Danielle, and welcome to BYC. At that age and given your present temperatures, those chicks will need supplemental heat. Good luck with them.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan

Most chicks are not fully feathered until 6 weeks of age, and will require some warmth until then. In addition your chicks are probably too small to put in with your older birds. Older birds do not tolerate little chicks well, so you will need to wait until they are closer in size to the older birds before putting them in together.

Are you planning on keeping all of these birds together? Because if so, having two roosters and two hens is not a very good ratio. Your cockerels are likely to fight when they become adults, and over breed the two hens that you have.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your replies :) Sorry I didn't make it clear, my battery rescue hens sadly died and now I am being given two chicks around 4 weeks old which are male and female and hope to get 2 or 3 more around the same age.

I was going to be given two males and one female but didn't think I could keep two males together when they are fully grown? ( I do intend on putting more females in the flock.)

I am a little worried about how much noise the cockerel will make eventually but super excited about getting chicks :)

Thanks for the advice xx

Welcome to BYC.
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community!

Your chicks will need some heat, at only 4 weeks old. Four week old chicks should be at around 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit, because they aren't fully feathered. By the time they are 6-8 weeks old, they shouldn't need supplemental heat, however.

You will want to get more females to keep with the one male and female. Otherwise, your hens may be overbred. I wouldn't worry so much about the males fighting (when raised together, they usually get along with little trouble), but they will damage the hens. Each rooster, ideally, should have at least 8 hens of his own.

Hi :welcome Danielle

Glad you could join the flock! I too am in the UK where abouts are you? Great advice there for you about 4 week olds still requiring heat. I have some 5 week olds and they are still under heat. Good luck with your new chicks and hope you enjoy BYC. Everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

Welcome to BYC! Nice to have you join us! Have fun with your new little ones.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community!

The other posters have answered your questions well.
smile.png
Good luck with your new chicks!

Back
Top Bottom