Hello from Upstate NY

silverbk

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Greetings,

I am a new member from Upstate NY. I am new to keeping chickens. My grandfather had some chickens when I was about 4-5 years old and it was my job to collect the eggs in the morning. That is my only experience.

I have a few questions. I know that they have already been asked and I can probably search for the answers but I am a bit nervous, and would like some personalized support.

I purchased a 3 by 5 chicken coop from a local guy. I am handy but I don't have the skills to build a coop from scratch. I then bought seven leghorn hens from a local lady that was thinning her flock.

I have the hens in the coop at my house since yesterday. They have food and water in those hanging type feeders. I have about 1 and half inches of pine shavings from TSC on the floor.

I want the chickens to acclimate to their new home so I have not let them out of the coop. When would it be safe to do this? I have not seen any eggs since yesterday when I transported and put them in there. I know they must be freaked out a bit. They seem to be happy, eating away and jumping up and dropping down from the roosting bar.

I also have a puppy German Short Hair pointer. She lives in the house. When I let her out off leash, she immediately goes over to the coop. she doesn't bark or growl, but seems fixated on watching the birds inside. They seem to move away from the door. I want them to get used to each other. I intend to leave her in the house or tied up when I release the hens. She will probably require some correction so she doesn't chase them.

If anyone could offer some advice, and some personalized general support I would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for this website which is an excellent resource.

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you decided to join the crew!!

Hi! Lots of us upstate NY'ers around! =) Where (about) are you located?

I leave new chickens/chicks in the coop for at least a few days. Then if they have a run, I let them out. Would probably keep them in longer if free ranging without a run just so I am sure they know where to go. :)

Welcome from Upstate NY, too! I second the advice from the poster who said to let them out if you have a secure run. We have all sorts of predators here, at least where I am, I recently lost one to a fox, and there are hawks, coyotes, raccoons....they kind of take the free out of free ranging.

Also, don't rush it with the dog. Let the dog see you taking care of the chickens so he knows you care about them, and he will need some maturity to accept that they are to be protected, not chased. It will take a long time.

Have fun with your chickens, and those delicious eggs!

Thanks everyone,

I am located in Hopewell Junction, Dutchess County . I am mainly getting chickens to control my tick population. The eggs will be a bonus. I briefly considered Guinea Fowl, but was talked out of it.

My girls seem to be doing OK. I left them alone by themselves all day today. When I came home there were six eggs in the nest boxes! I guess one hen is either late or didn't lay yet today.

I must be doing something right.

Thanks again for reassuring me.

Back
Top Bottom