Hello from UT, USA

eliza801

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2023
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I'm a new back yard chicken keeper! I only bought some two day old chicks two weeks ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have 6 chicks in a make-shift brooder in my home office. Temperatures where I live are still very cold (34 degrees right now at 10 am!), and it's snowing today. Best winter Utah has seen in over 20 years!! I have a coop that I bought at CAL-Ranch, but I still need to seal the wood and build the thing.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I have a variety of chicks and they all appear to be doing great so far. They are two weeks old. I have a Midnight Majesty Maran (Ouiser), a Smokey Pearl (Clairee), a Welsummer (M'Lynn), a Sapphire Gem (Annelle), a Rhode Island Red (Truvy), and a Cinnamon Queen (Shelby). I love my little lady birds so much already!! I'm not looking forward to their short life-spans (especially Shelby's), but I am determined to love them and give them the best home possible while I have them. :)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I'm still so new to this that it's hard to say, but I'm enjoying getting to know their different personalities and I love the cute chirping noises they make all day while I'm working (their brooder is in my office). I'm really looking forward to their delicious and nutritious eggs!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I enjoy time with family, gardening, girl-scouting, service work, cooking, baking, and anything outdoors - especially camping! We just got a Traeger, so looking forward to learning how to smoke meat.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am in the technology field with formal education in both business and technology. I am married to an amazingly supportive and good man! We have 3 daughters, and a dog and a cat (both indoor pets).

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found your Facebook page first! I joined that and then saw there was an associated site, so I hopped over. Happy to join a community of folks at every experience level so that I can learn with and from all of you! :)

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

I loved Steel Magnolias too.
You will not like any pre-fab coop that comes in a box and the chickens especially will HATE it. They are too small, horribly ventilated and made of the cheapest materials that can be found. I would return it and look for a small used or new shed to convert into a coop.

Back
Top Bottom