Hello from Utah Valley!

thirteenbirds

Chirping
Mar 21, 2023
Hello everyone! Backyard chicken enthusiast from Utah valley here! I'm typically not very good at introductions, so let's just say I'm happy with the questions provided. :) I first got into raising backyard chickens back in 2009. I was in Jr. High at the time; and after seeing a feed store mail ad for baby chicks, I felt something inside me saying I had to get some of my own. With the help of my grandmother's experience with chickens growing up, I started my first flock with 2 RIR and 2 Barred Rock pullets. From then on up until late 2011, I fell in LOVE with the hobby. I also dabbled(pun intended) in raising other backyard poultry; such as ducks, quail, and a few turkeys. After a long decade away, I have finally been able to get back into the hobby and lifestyle of raising backyard chickens, and this time on my own accord.

I currently have a new flock that I hatched myself consisting of 10, almost 5 week old chicks. I used my little giant incubator that I kept in storage all those years in the hopes of one day hatching my own chicks again, and locally sourced some barnyard mix eggs. They're currently still feathering out, so it's hard to tell exactly what breeds will show up in these guys. I'll attach some photos. I'd love any insight on what breeds and genders they might possibly be. Out of my 10, I'm only 100% certain about 2 pullets and 2 cockerels.
IMG_0995.jpg IMG_0987.jpg IMG_0959.jpg

I have a multitude of reasons why I love raising backyard chickens, but I'll summarize it in two big ones. The first being how the maintenance and TLC involved in raising a healthy flock is something I find very discipline based and is, for me, a great source for grounding energy. The commitment to raising any pet lends itself to that idea, but I find that with chickens, there's a proactive structure formed around the routine of daily, weekly, and monthly upkeep that I always find just as exciting and rewarding as the first time. The relationship one can form with their chickens and the work involved is a wonderful experience. I take pride in being so fond of this lifestyle when I'm reminded that most people don't see chickens as more than a food source. Which brings me to my second reason; that is finding the joy and pleasure in the act of defying the common misconceptions about chickens and experiencing firsthand that chickens are deeply intelligent and multifaceted creatures capable of so much more than most people give them credit for. They have their own unique personalities and attitudes that makes flock watching one of the greatest forms of entertainment there is. I believe it's next to impossible being bored when you have chickens in your backyard. Along with countless other reasons, I just find so much excitement and spark with raising chickens. There's really no other being out there like them!

Some of my other hobbies include hiking in the beautiful mountains of Utah and setting up my hammock to relax in nature, studying astrology, playing pokemon games, reading about and studying just about anything to do with western mythology world history, or geography, photography, listening to music, and cooking.

I have been drawn to animals my entire life, although currently only get to care for my new little flock, a 45 gallon aquarium that I currently have stocked with goldfish and amano shrimp, and two precious pups- a brother & sister duo named Bella & Scrappie (I didn't name them ok? haha) Their father Milo, who crossed the rainbow bridge in 2020, managed to leave behind a litter of puppies with a neighbor's dog and his legacy lives on through the 5 Chi/Minpin + Chi/Husky pups. I got Scrappie at 10 weeks, and he picked his name from an assortment of names I laid out in front of him after being unable to decide myself; and 7 months later I took his big sister, Bella, under my care after her previous didn't work out. When I'm not tending to my chicks, dogs, fish, and other hobbies, I'm either working one of my 2 jobs, or spending time with my family when I can.
I came across BYC back in 2009, but only ever observed from afar without joining. I've seen ads for it and mentions here and there many times! I knew I had to give it a shot this time around because I want to actively ensure my approach to my current flock and it's future can have access to the resources available through all of you awesome people!
Happy to be here, thank you for reading my crazy introduction :)
-thirteenbirds

Hello everyone! Backyard chicken enthusiast from Utah valley here! I'm typically not very good at introductions, so let's just say I'm happy with the questions provided. :) I first got into raising backyard chickens back in 2009. I was in Jr. High at the time; and after seeing a feed store mail ad for baby chicks, I felt something inside me saying I had to get some of my own. With the help of my grandmother's experience with chickens growing up, I started my first flock with 2 RIR and 2 Barred Rock pullets. From then on up until late 2011, I fell in LOVE with the hobby. I also dabbled(pun intended) in raising other backyard poultry; such as ducks, quail, and a few turkeys. After a long decade away, I have finally been able to get back into the hobby and lifestyle of raising backyard chickens, and this time on my own accord.

I currently have a new flock that I hatched myself consisting of 10, almost 5 week old chicks. I used my little giant incubator that I kept in storage all those years in the hopes of one day hatching my own chicks again, and locally sourced some barnyard mix eggs. They're currently still feathering out, so it's hard to tell exactly what breeds will show up in these guys. I'll attach some photos. I'd love any insight on what breeds and genders they might possibly be. Out of my 10, I'm only 100% certain about 2 pullets and 2 cockerels.
View attachment 3439501 View attachment 3439503View attachment 3439504

I have a multitude of reasons why I love raising backyard chickens, but I'll summarize it in two big ones. The first being how the maintenance and TLC involved in raising a healthy flock is something I find very discipline based and is, for me, a great source for grounding energy. The commitment to raising any pet lends itself to that idea, but I find that with chickens, there's a proactive structure formed around the routine of daily, weekly, and monthly upkeep that I always find just as exciting and rewarding as the first time. The relationship one can form with their chickens and the work involved is a wonderful experience. I take pride in being so fond of this lifestyle when I'm reminded that most people don't see chickens as more than a food source. Which brings me to my second reason; that is finding the joy and pleasure in the act of defying the common misconceptions about chickens and experiencing firsthand that chickens are deeply intelligent and multifaceted creatures capable of so much more than most people give them credit for. They have their own unique personalities and attitudes that makes flock watching one of the greatest forms of entertainment there is. I believe it's next to impossible being bored when you have chickens in your backyard. Along with countless other reasons, I just find so much excitement and spark with raising chickens. There's really no other being out there like them!

Some of my other hobbies include hiking in the beautiful mountains of Utah and setting up my hammock to relax in nature, studying astrology, playing pokemon games, reading about and studying just about anything to do with western mythology world history, or geography, photography, listening to music, and cooking.

I have been drawn to animals my entire life, although currently only get to care for my new little flock, a 45 gallon aquarium that I currently have stocked with goldfish and amano shrimp, and two precious pups- a brother & sister duo named Bella & Scrappie (I didn't name them ok? haha) Their father Milo, who crossed the rainbow bridge in 2020, managed to leave behind a litter of puppies with a neighbor's dog and his legacy lives on through the 5 Chi/Minpin + Chi/Husky pups. I got Scrappie at 10 weeks, and he picked his name from an assortment of names I laid out in front of him after being unable to decide myself; and 7 months later I took his big sister, Bella, under my care after her previous didn't work out. When I'm not tending to my chicks, dogs, fish, and other hobbies, I'm either working one of my 2 jobs, or spending time with my family when I can.
I came across BYC back in 2009, but only ever observed from afar without joining. I've seen ads for it and mentions here and there many times! I knew I had to give it a shot this time around because I want to actively ensure my approach to my current flock and it's future can have access to the resources available through all of you awesome people!
Happy to be here, thank you for reading my crazy introduction :)
-thirteenbirds
Welcome to BYC!! :)

Back
Top Bottom