Hello from Utah

Holyhabanero

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 12, 2010
I've never raised chickens, but it has been something I'm very interested in. Last year I wrote letters to my city council to encourage them to allow chickens to be raised in city limits and if everything goes well, at the end of this month, they will pass the ordinance. So now I'm trying to learn everything I can so I hit the ground running.

I'm interested in raising chickens for the eggs, but with four kids, I also need them to be fairly docile, so I think I've narrowed my choices to Rhode Island Red and/or Barred Plymouth Rock. My next step is to start working on a coop.

My main question is when do I purchase the chicks? Cal-Ranch, my local farm store, says they don't get chicks in until around Easter because it is so cold here in Utah, but I don't know if I can wait that long. Should I be patient, or can I really get them earlier and start right away?

First of all
welcome-byc.gif
!

You can order your chicks online from many hatcheries. Ideal here in Texas has already started shipping.

This is just my opinion, but my Barred Rocks are incredibly docile and friendly and my RIRs are standoffish and can be a bit aggressive. I always encourage anyone to get BRs to start with. I adore mine.

Good luck with your chicken venture. You're gonna love it!

Welcome! Welcome! You need to wait...you will probably keep the chicks in the house for the first month, but believe me you will want to get them outside with a heat lamp asap. They are loads of fun, but so dusty you won't believe it!! Try to time it so that by the time they are feathered out, they can move outside to their coop. Tons of info on this site- you will learn everything you need to know! Enjoy!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us! Not sure where you are from in UT, I'm from the Salt Lake Valley. We ordered ours from a hatchery and got them Mid-March, they spent a couple of months inside. If you aren't prepared for that, I'd definitely wait until Easter time. As for getting them at Cal-Ranch or ordering them from a hatchery, just depends on what you want.

Here's a link to us Utahns. Come on over and say hi!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24&p=1

WELCOME from Western Colorado! I agree with the others - you can order them now and keep in the house. This is fun for a while but as they grow so does the smell. LOL.
Hatcheries are listed on here such as Ideal Poultry, Murray McMurray, nd more. Go to the search up in the right hand corner and put Hatchery. HAVE FUN!!!

Welcome fellow Utahn, if you like barred rocks may I suggest Dominiques with there rose combs they handle the cold very well and are about the friendliest little birds. Not to mention the chicken brought west by the pioneers.

Back
Top Bottom