Hello from VA! And a Chicken Question :)

GobbleGobbleBaaak

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 28, 2011
Northern Virginia
Hello Everyone!
I've gone to the Chickens to say the least - we had 5 Golden Comet chicks join us yesterday and they're all doing well
smile.png

We have a mature hen (blue Orphington I think) who I just recently let out in the yard to venture around and enjoy herself. She was a very reliable egg layer until I started letting her out - no eggs in the last 3 days (I looked all around the yard as well, just to be sure).
Is she just too excited to be out and about? Should I keep her in her pen again for a few days and maybe try to figure out her usual egg-laying-routine? Will she (and others that will also be allowed to roam the yard during the day) find a "new" place to lay outside?
I also had a little chick born about 4 weeks ago, it was the only 1 that hatched out of 5 eggs that were given to us. It is mostly dark grey on the top and wings and yellowish on the belly and chin. It has somewhat fluffly cheeks. Just curious to learn what kind of breed it is. Any ideas?

We're new to Chickens of course, so any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance and Happy Chick keeping!

Carmen
1 Orphington, 15 Golden Comet 4 week olds, 1 God-Knows-What Chick (was the only one, hatched 4 weeks ago), 5 Indian Runner Ducks, 3 Mix of the Mill Ducks, 7 Turkey's (2 Toms, 5 Hens).

Hello Carmen
Welcome to BYC
You have changed your hens diet by letting her roam free. Many times when you change their diet they will slow or stop laying for a period of time. She could also have found a secret place to lay such as under a building or even in a bush. But usually if they are established with laying in a nest box they will return to the nest box to lay. We have about 60 girls out free ranging and it is rare when we find an egg layed in the yard.
As for your little fluffy cheeked chick, is it a bantam breed or a heavy bodied bird? What does the comb look like? Is it a single comb, pea comb or ? Color of legs? Is it possible to post a picture?

Thank you for the Welcome!

I did try to put her usual food out in a place near the house and she came several times to feed...BUT, because we keep 5 pheasants in the same house with her, I closed up the pen of course because I didn't want them to come out.
I wouldn't have even thought as far as her maybe trying to return to her usual spot IN her house to lay her egg! I'll try and set up her pen so that she can return to it whenever she wants/needs to, without letting the pheasants escape.
I really appreciate the input about the food. So much to learn yet!

As for the little chick - it must be a bantam or smaller chicken breed because when it was already 10 days old and we got the golden comet chicks to keep her company (she would not quiet down at all, unless I was holding her cupped in my hands and that gets a bit too time consuming with 3 little human kids lol), the golden comet chicks were already MUCH bigger than her and were only 3 days old...so she was a week older than they were.
I don't see any comb at all still...it appears that there are two, small comb looking like things but not an actual comb like I've seen on any other chicks before. (That's why I'm assuming its a hen and not a roo?). The legs are grey/black but her feet are a light pinkish color (the legs seem similar colored to the feathers). now that she's starting to feather out, it looks like 2 black, thick stripes going down the front of her body and what was more yellow before is now a light yellow to white. I'll try to get my daughter to take a picture and post it. I think I saw somewhere that newbies can't post pictures right away but can always email it privately or post somewhere else that works. I haven't seen any pictures of chicks that look like this one. She is super social also and follows me everywhere (whenever she can) but I'm thinking that's probably just because she was an only chick for over a week and thought/thinks I was her mommy
smile.png
That chirping and looking for me was really cute for about 5 minutes hahaha, which is why I got her all those companions (I'm lucky that my husband likes Turkey's and because I let him have his Turkey's and Pheasants, I get to have my chickens and ducks, hehe).

I really like that you are letting your chickens free range. The lady we got the golden comet chicks and eggs from we just hatched, had all her chickens free range and I've never seen chickens so healthy, happy and gorgeous! If I can figure out a way to introduce the Turkeys to our 1 older hen and then all these chicks i'm waiting for to grow.,...it'll be an ongoing party in my yard
smile.png
I'm sure though that the pheasants will "fit in". They're rather spastic and don't seem social at all!

When I'm allowed to post pictures, I'll be sure to post pictures of my Indian Runner Ducks as well. They're a blast to watch, along with "Martha" our hen who is currently on egg-laying-vacation!

Thank you, everyone!

I won't worry about it then. She seemed so unhappy today being stuck in her pen again so I'm going to let her out now. Phew! I'm so relieved that that's all it is. Thank you again TPP and GM for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

Have a great evening
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom