1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from VA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bard Shamrock, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Bard Shamrock

Bard Shamrock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    East Virginia
    Hey, folks, I'm new here and I've been roaming around the forum and learning a LOT. This looks like a great forum and I appreciate the chance to listen and learn.

About 6 weeks ago I bought (my first) 6 Guinea fowl and I'm just about ready to let them start free-ranging from their coop, but today the local livestock dealer had a meet-and-swap event (done only twice annually) and I've been wanting some chickens for a while and I've always admired Barred Rocks...but it seems like they are in high demand and low supply hereabouts...but I ended up buying (in this case my first chickens....) two hens from one lady and then a cock from another fella who told me he's of "show quality" breeding! All for $25!

That rooster is certainly an awful nice looking bird. I can't wait to see his tail grow back. I can't wait to tie some saltwater streamers from his hackles!

Long story longer, I put the chickens in with the young Guineas, and within 3 hrs they acted like they're long-lost cousins already. The cock seems to want to run the show, but he seems very tolerant of the Guineas and the new (to him) hens, although it appears the hens and some of those whippersnapper Guineas have some pecking order to work out...

I figure I'll give the new clan a week or so to bond, and then let them out during the day to range (I work from home so I can keep an eye on them and a shotgun handy)...now the question is whether I can train my young BIRD DOG to leave the "pets" alone!

Looking forward to reading the forum and learning from you folks, and, I hope, throwing out something useful if and when I ever have something useful to offer.

Best regards to all,

Jeff

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] from WI! Sounds like you jumped right in!!! [​IMG]

Any pictures of the 'kids', especially the roo ?? [​IMG] Congrats on your new additions...

3. magoobi

magoobi Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    Welcome from AZ! [​IMG]
    Be careful with the dog. They can do fatal damage in the blink of an eye! Good luck!

4. PulletPalace

PulletPalace Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Congrats and welcome. I'm not sure about the bird dog, but I have outdoor cats that hunt, and when I first let the chickens out to free range I was nervous. But the cats just lay right in the middle of the flock like they're all buddies. [​IMG]

5. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    [​IMG]

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Welcome from the other side of VA [​IMG]

7. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana