Hello from Vernont

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Craxe77, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Craxe77

Craxe77 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi,
    New to chickens and this forum. My wife has really wanted chickens ( Layers) for awhile now so I converted our shed into a coop. We used a couple old pIanter box benches for nesting boxes and I built a ladder roost. I haven't put the chicken door in yet or any fencing outside yet. I found this page because I know nothing about chickens and have been reading like crazy.

I 'm trying to figure out how much ventilation I'll need to add. We have 3 Amberlinks and 3 Buff Brahamas and will maybe add 3 more Ameraucanas for 12 chickens at the most. I was thinking of using these 3 inch round vents I have laying around and putting about 6 in around the top of the walls. Not sure that's enough or not.

Any advice on ventilation or on my coop in general is welcome.

2. GrayEyedGoddess

GrayEyedGoddess Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    Florence, AL
    I'm new to chickens, as well, but I've been reading Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow. She suggests 1 sq foot of window for every 10 sq feet of flooring in the coop. And to use 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth as "screening" because predators like raccoons can tear through regular window screening.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. Have you checked out the coop section, it may have information of how much venting is required.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by