Hello from Vernont

Craxe77

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 30, 2016
Milton Vermont

Hi,
New to chickens and this forum. My wife has really wanted chickens ( Layers) for awhile now so I converted our shed into a coop. We used a couple old pIanter box benches for nesting boxes and I built a ladder roost. I haven't put the chicken door in yet or any fencing outside yet. I found this page because I know nothing about chickens and have been reading like crazy.

I 'm trying to figure out how much ventilation I'll need to add. We have 3 Amberlinks and 3 Buff Brahamas and will maybe add 3 more Ameraucanas for 12 chickens at the most. I was thinking of using these 3 inch round vents I have laying around and putting about 6 in around the top of the walls. Not sure that's enough or not.

Any advice on ventilation or on my coop in general is welcome.

I'm new to chickens, as well, but I've been reading Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow. She suggests 1 sq foot of window for every 10 sq feet of flooring in the coop. And to use 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth as "screening" because predators like raccoons can tear through regular window screening.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom