Hello from Virginia Beach , VA

Stars Hollow

Hatching
Mar 14, 2015
Virginia Beach
Hello everyone. My better half and I started down the poultry raising adventure about this time last year. We did a ton of research and jumped in with both feet, starting off with (3) Golden Comet and (3) White Leghorn pullets from the local TSC. After several weeks indoors a chicken 'mansion' was built and they moved outside. Shortly afterwards our flock was enlarged by the addition of (4) Pekin ducks, (2) hens and (2) drakes. We live on 15 acres with a pond in the country outside of town and it's been a wonderful experience. There is quite a bit to learn and while there is 'basic' info, there is so much more you learn 'on the job' that is specific to your situation. We raise our birds for eggs and enjoy their company. Since our start we've added several hens, a rooster or two, and learned the heartbreak that comes with dealing with predation. This year, we've made adjustments to the coop/stronghold and are working on a balance of free-range and enclosed run living (the enclosed run is 24' x 24). In the process of waiting for some warmer weather and our new birds will slowly be integrated outside with our two remaining hens.

Headcount as of now:

(1) Golden Comet hen
(1) Buff Orpington hen

(3) Straight run Americaunas
(1) Random Bantam?

(4) Indian Runner, (2) each, starting feathers
(2) Pekin ducklings, few weeks old, straight run
(2) Khaki Campbell ducklings, few weeks old, straight run
(6) Americauna pullets, few weeks old
(6) Golden Sex Link pullets, few weeks old

In addition, 2 wonderful cats, Aramis and Calypso, and Apollo, an English bulldog.

Thanks for having us join your family.

Last edited:
Hi Stars Hollow welcome to BYC! Sounds like you have a lot of animals on your hands. Do you have any specific questions that you want answered? and by the way you have my two most favorite breeds of ducks. Do you know what Runner color you got? Anyways enjoy your stay.

Thanks for the warm welcome! There's always some question brewing, but the forums are a wealth of info. Her and I have been all over them for the past year. We just thought about registering. Lol.

As for the colors. Not sure yet. I do know there are two created in the mix. We bought them from a shop in NC.

Last edited:
Hey there! Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you decided to join! Let us know if you have any questions, we will be glad to help you if we can.
big_smile.png
There is a lot of great info on here, and lots of very knowledgeable people, so I'm sure you'll be able to find any info you may be looking for.
smile.png
Sounds like you have a nice little flock!

Back
Top Bottom