1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello From Virginia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CochinsGirl, Nov 20, 2010.

1. CochinsGirl

CochinsGirl New Egg

Nov 20, 2010
    Hello everyone. I am a new member to this forum and new to chickens. My family and I bought our first chickens this spring from TSC. I had been wanting chickens for awhile. My husband and I went to buy rabbit feed and I could hear the tiny peeps as soon as I walked in the door. Of course, I had to go look. My husband took one look at me and told me to go ahead. That day we bought our 5 Red Sex Link girls and our 1 white Plymouth Rock girl. Our children were thrilled when we got home. We went back to the feed store a week later and I went immediately to the chick area. They had baby bantams. It was love at first sight. We ended up bringing home: 3 d' Uccle, 1 Sultan, 1 Polish, 4 Cochins, 3 Old English Game, 4 Silkies, 2 Seabrights, 3 Dutch Bantams, and 1 Barred Rock standard. Our children were even more thrilled over the bantams. Those chickens have been pampered and loved every day.
    I have a large family of 9 children- homeschooled. Plus Grandma (my mother-in-law) lives with us. We also have one rabbit. We try to grow as much vegetables and fruit as we can in this horrible Virginia clay. This is our second year in this house so this year's garden was much better than the previous year. Next year will hopefully be better since we are composting our chicken and rabbit bedding. The chickens were a blessing this year in the garden. They loved dust bathing under the tomatoes and they ate every single hornworm they could find.
    Getting chickens has been one of the best decisions we have ever made (besides having all of our children).
    CochinsGirl

2. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome from Oregon!

3. CochinsGirl

CochinsGirl New Egg

Nov 20, 2010
    Thank you.

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Welcome!

5. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from south carolina/fla. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Welcome from your neighbor in Maryland.

It looks like you jumped into chickens with both feet.

7. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Welcome! We're a family of 7 plus my mother living w/ us and we also homeschool. [​IMG]

8. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome from Carroll Co. Va, you do have quite a variety going there! Hope your family has much fun with 'em...[​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A warm welcome from an imp in Washington

Starting off big [​IMG] that's the BYC way.

Glad you joined us

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by