Hello from Washington State.

Teufelt

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2015

New member here, thought I'd stop in and say hi, love the site lots of great information on here, figured I'd post a few pictures of my new coop in progress.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Your coop looks like it's coming along nicely. One thing I would seriously suggest however if you have any predators in your area (including rats and dogs) is to either replace or cover your chicken wire with hardware cloth. There are too many predators that can tear through chicken wire, or sqeeze through the openings in the mesh. Hardware cloth is more expensive than chicken wire, but it's cheaper than replacing your flock. Hardware cloth has saved many chicken owners a lot of tears. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop finished.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Looks like you have a roomy coop. I am wondering what the wire cage is outside the coop with the pull cord that opens it to the coop area.

My coop is raised 4 feet off the ground the area around the wire is a planter,the door is for our chickens to go down to the run, we are going to plant herbs and greens for the chickens in the flower bed.

When the door is closed I have a steel pin that slides through the run door to securely lock it in place.

The cage is there just to keep the chickens in the run below.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
glad you decided to join us.

Interesting coop. I have seen some with green roofs for planting, but your arrangement is original. You do have great skill for building. But I do offer a couple of comments:

Even though the wire is intended to direct the chickens down their ramp, I think you should place hardware cloth at least on the sides. Green plants is an attraction to them, and I fear they will try to get to them. They will stick their heads thru the wire to eat what you plant and in doing so could get injured or worse. Mine try to access grassy weeds just outside the human run door and if we don't watch closely we could shut the door on their head and necks!

I also have a raised coop and think you should consider external nest boxes if you can add those and if not, adding an outside opening behind the nests? It will be awkward collecting those eggs once the coop is fully occupied by the flock. And reaching across poop is not a lot of fun :)

Good luck with all.

Also inside of the wire box there is a 10" lip all the way around for the chickens to stand on and eat from the flower bed, that was one of the main reasons for the planter.

Back
Top Bottom