Hello from West Central FL!

Calico Mama

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2021
West Central Florida
Hello everyone! I've considered raising chickens for years, and now that I'm semi-retired I finally have the time to do it. I found BYC several years ago and decided to join up now that I'm getting ready to take the plunge. I have the supplies for setting up a brooder with mama heating pad, and researching and working on a design for an open-style coop. I'm planning for a small flock of 3 to 5 hens, but if my history with pets/animals holds true, I'll end up with more than that, LOL. I'm in West Central FL, in the Nature Coast area north of Tampa/St. Pete. Any suggestions on helpful articles, posts, etc. is much appreciated. Thanks, and I'm very happy to meet you all! :)

Welcome to BYC!
I am a great fan of the mama heating pad. I've raised several batches outdoors using the MHP. I've never lost any chicks with that method.
I would suggest looking at the coop section for ideas on open coops, carport conversions, and pole barns. (I'm in Texas and the weather here is hot and humid too.)
Best of luck with your chicks!

Welcome to BYC!
I am a great fan of the mama heating pad. I've raised several batches outdoors using the MHP. I've never lost any chicks with that method.
I would suggest looking at the coop section for ideas on open coops, carport conversions, and pole barns. (I'm in Texas and the weather here is hot and humid too.)
Best of luck with your chicks!
Thanks so much! I love the MHP concept - I've never been comfortable with heat lamps, very happy to hear you've had such good results with it. LOL, I've probably looked at too many coops on here in the last couple of weeks. I have a general idea of what I want to do to keep my flock cool and comfy but safe from heavy weather and a large and varied predator population.

Back
Top Bottom