Hello from West Central Wisconsin

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JPichler, Jul 25, 2011.

1. JPichler

JPichler Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    West Central, WI
    Hi All,
    I'm finally getting a chance to sit down and write a post to introduce myself. My name is Julie and I live in rural Mondovi, WI. Albany township. I am very new to the wonderful adventure of chickens. My mother-in-law lives across the street from us and she has had chickens for a few years now, so I was introduced to the wonderful taste of farm fresh eggs from her. But with a family of 7, we really needed our own flock to supply our family needs. My husband and I will be married for 12 years next month. We have five beautiful children. 4 girls and one boy. You can see pictures on My BYC Page. You can also see pictures of my husband's master carpenter skills. He build me an amazing chicken coop. Which my lovely chicken ladies really like too.

Since we live in Wisconsin, we wanted to make sure and get cold-hardy chickens. So we have 1 Easter Egger, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Black Autralorps, 5 Buff Orpingtons and 4 Rhode Island Reds. My Easter Egger's name is Esther and I have names picked out, but we will not officially name them until I can get something to help me tell them apart. And when we can say for sure that none of them are rooters. They are 18 weeks old today with the exception of the RIRs which are 15 weeks today.

Other things about me: I stay at home and homeschool my kids; I love to plan and organize, scrapbook, garden and spend time with my family. Recently I have been making those really neat concrete birdbaths made with rhubarb leaves. We are also very interested in becoming more self-sufficient.

We love our chickens and are very happy to finally get our first half dozen eggs this past week. All from just one of my sweet chicken-girls. Not sure which one to thank. Maybe I will catch her sometime soon.
    There is more about my chicken story on MY BYC page.

I love this forum and I've been quite addicted this past week, but summer brings me many extra chores, so I need to get off the computer now and get some work done. Thanks for reading about me!

Julie Pichler

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hello Julie and welcome to BYC! We live one state over in MN. We were originally going with all cold hardy chickens until I started researching breeds. Somehow I added a D'Uccle in the group.[​IMG] We fully insulated the coop and I'm planning on using a 250 watt ceramic heat emitter. Hopefully this will keep the coop warm enough to were the water doesn't freeze and keep everyone from freezing when it's -20 outside.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Hello and [​IMG]

5. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

8. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
  9. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

10. Pkeith1998

Pkeith1998 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Georgia
    Warm southern welcome from Georgia! [​IMG]

I understand not wanting to name them yet. I too need help figuring out if I really have girls or not!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by