Hello from West Monroe, La

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Baralak, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello all,

I grew up with a small flock always around, but after getting married, we lived the apartment life. Also my work always kept me moving so we never thought of chckens. 19 years later, we bought a couple of acres of land and a house so I introduced my family to the joys of poultry. We are starting a with a smaller flock, 2 buff orp, 2 spotted sux, 2 barred rocks, and 3 Easter eggers one being a roo. Sadly one of my buffs passed, but the rest are almost 4weeks old. The ugly stage. My wife really enjoys playing with them as do our 3 teenaged sons. Sadly our golden retriever thinks they are squeaky toys... Thus the buff incident. She is getting better though and our outdoor brooder is much more secure now.

Funny thing is my wife wants some bantams now because of what she has read about them. I told her baby steps..lol.

Anyhow that's my story

2. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    [​IMG] from Western Wisconsin! Remind the dog that birds are friends, not food or chew toys. I worry that our beagle will do the same thing when our chicks arrive. Ours may be the first brooder protected by Invisible Fencing!!

3. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    [​IMG] and hello from Indiana

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Welcome from an imp in Washington. Glad you joined.

Well it's been about 14 hours, since you posted. How many bantams do you have now?

Imp

5. Baralak

lol.. PMing for eggs now... my wife wants a few seramas... She has been watching youtube videos of the roos crowing. She says she doesn't care really about showing them or anything, but would like that breed because of the size.. Beats a regular caged bird I guess.. She has been bitten by the chicken bug.. Infact she is outside with her lawn chair sitting next to the outside temp fence we have put up for the dyno chicks.

When I was a kid I had a mutt bantam rooster. He was red and brown with a little green. He would follow me all around the yard. And would get mad if I left the yard and didn't take him. He would ride in my truck when I would go to the convience store..lol.. <---- True Louisiana Redneck.... How many teenagers rode with their pet chicken in the 80's.

Baralak/ ~Joe

6. grambysfarm

grambysfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2010
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Hey! It appears we have a few things in common. I also live in Louisiana (Lake Charles area); I have two Golden Retrievers; several Buff Orpingtons & Easter Eggers. Our Goldens also love to "play" with the chickens -- unfortunately, the chickens don't live long enough to tell their side of the story. Last year, Missy (also known as Miss Houdini) killed 98 of my chickens during her several different escapes from her kennel. I originally had 15 Buffs -- only 2 survived her various attacks. I currently have 12 Buffs after having to start over with them. A chain link fence is no challenge for Missy. She's housed in a double fence now (chain link lined with horse fencing) and she continues to work at getting through. Aside from not wanting to be contained & a chicken killer she is a wonderful dog [​IMG]

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort &amp; Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hello from Tucson and [​IMG] It's funny how the lure of poultry always brings us back.

8. Baralak

Thank you for all your welcomes...Yes it is amazing how once touched... you are always "Touched" [​IMG]

9. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome to BYC from Oregon!!

10. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi there! Welcome from western Kentucky! We have some dear friends originally from W. Monroe, and my DH is originally from just south of New Orleans (Lafitte). Nice to meet you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by