Hello from wester Illinois

tjs

Chirping
6 Years
May 24, 2017
Rydal, Georgia
I am trying to do all that I can to see that my family has "healthy" meat and produce for our table. I have been gardening for years and am expanding. I the last 10 months I have bought and butchered a hog from a local farmer, started raising rabbits, and got a side of grass feed beef. I am interested in having some chickens for eggs. We have a friend who we have been getting eggs from and I can hardly eat store bought eggs any more. I found BYC while searching for coop ideas. This is a great site for information and ideas and I am glad I found it. Any recommendations on breed(s) for a newbie would be appreciated. I am looking at building a coop and starting with 5-6 birds. Thank you BYC for adding be to the flock.

I reccommend the rhode island red because u get 5+ eggs per week or barred plymouth rocks because they're very friendly, or black australorp because u get 5+ eggs per week and they're very quiet. Those are my suggestion obviuosly everyone has they're own opinion on chickens but the choice is all yours BTW pick out some pretty or cool looking ones if u have kids ;):welcome:yesss::thumbsup

Welcome to BYC! So glad you joined! That's great that you are spending the extra time and energy to feed your family good food. As for breeds my personal favorites for egg laying and friendliness would be: Buff Orpingtons, Wyandottes, and Plymouth Rocks. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

I reccommend the rhode island red because u get 5+ eggs per week or barred plymouth rocks because they're very friendly, or black australorp because u get 5+ eggs per week and they're very quiet. Those are my suggestion obviuosly everyone has they're own opinion on chickens but the choice is all yours BTW pick out some pretty or cool looking ones if u have kids ;):welcome:yesss::thumbsup
Thanks for the info.

Welcome to BYC! So glad you joined! That's great that you are spending the extra time and energy to feed your family good food. As for breeds my personal favorites for egg laying and friendliness would be: Buff Orpingtons, Wyandottes, and Plymouth Rocks. If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Thank you. Wyandottes are one of the ones I have been looking at.

Back
Top Bottom