Hello, from White Lake, MI!

TabathaGma

Chirping
Oct 19, 2020
White Lake, MI
Good morning! So happy to have found BackYard Chickens! I know I am driving everyone around me crazy with all my chicken talk! lol! I have 7- 3 month old hens (Black Sex Links, Production Red, and Isa Brown), no eggs yet! Also 3 - 1 week old chicks (Ameraucanas). I bought a home that already has a beautiful Hen House and run. It's getting cold here in Michigan and I have gotten mixed advise for how warm to keep their coop. As of now I just have 1 heat lamp (it's secure) and was wondering if that is good enough or if they need to be kept warmer when it gets colder. The baby chicks are in the house for now. What are your thoughts?

animated-smileys-halloween-006.gif
Good MOOrning 🐮 to you and welcome to BYC! I used this chart for the first 6 weeks.
7b88b0bcb0bb5e957253aea412a62717.jpg

You can usually tell if they're too hot, they will try to get away from the heat source. If they're too cold, they'll huddle under the light. If they're content, they will be all over happy chirps. Wishing you the best of luck!

View attachment 2391471 Good MOOrning 🐮 to you and welcome to BYC! I used this chart for the first 6 weeks.
View attachment 2391472
You can usually tell if they're too hot, they will try to get away from the heat source. If they're too cold, they'll huddle under the light. If they're content, they will be all over happy chirps. Wishing you the best of luck!

Thank you! What about the 3 month old chickens that are outside in the coop?

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
The three months old pullets outside should have NO supplemental heat.
I'd remove it immediately as it will prevent them from acclimating. Your coop needs lots of ventilation and needs to be kept DRY for your flock to stay warm.
My flock roosts in an uninsulated, unheated coop and have experienced temps as low as -23F and they've done just fine.
They need to go to roost with full crops. When it gets bitter cold (-10F or below), I offer a waterer with electrolytes in it or give them a mash made from their Flock Raiser that has added electrolytes. The mash goes in a heated dog bowl.

Good morning! So happy to have found BackYard Chickens! I know I am driving everyone around me crazy with all my chicken talk! lol! I have 7- 3 month old hens (Black Sex Links, Production Red, and Isa Brown), no eggs yet! Also 3 - 1 week old chicks (Ameraucanas). I bought a home that already has a beautiful Hen House and run. It's getting cold here in Michigan and I have gotten mixed advise for how warm to keep their coop. As of now I just have 1 heat lamp (it's secure) and was wondering if that is good enough or if they need to be kept warmer when it gets colder. The baby chicks are in the house for now. What are your thoughts?
:welcome :welcome :welcome

Back
Top Bottom