Hello from WI

Welcome Madisonian, I am a Jeffersonian. I just convinced my husband to let me bring my hens in the basement because of the wind chill (-20-30)and winter storm advisory. I love WI weather when I can just stay home and curl up with a cup of hot cocoa (real whip cream on top..WI) and watch it snow. Good luck with future chickens. I was in your boat not that long ago. The minute we signed for our house I ordered my coop.

I love WI weather also as crazy as people think me to be for it.
The coco sounds great, I have some hot tea now
smile.png

As soon as I have my own place again, I will have a coop.
I moved back with my parents, tried talking my dad in to letting me keepsome in the far part of the backyard, but he wouldn't budge...darn.

I may have to put that on my quote line "20,000th member" lol

I am hoping to learn as much as I can about chickens, so I might know what the hell I am doing when I get some.

It's actually kind of refreshing to see someone that wants to learn how to take care of chickens, before they get them. I like you already!!!
big_smile.png

Lots of people have chickens in Wisconsin. If you choose breeds that are more winter hardy, you'll have a much easier time. I stay away from breeds with large combs and wattles, to avoid problems with frostbite. This chart has a lot of good information on it, including winter hardiness information.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

If you plan on a coop with a covered run, then you don't have to shovel, to let your chickens out in the morning. You can spend some time browsing the main BYC site, looking at coops. I hope you have a lot of fun reading and looking at photos here. And welcome!

:)You picked a great place to learn about raising chickens. I started learning from this site for about 2 months before getting chicks. This site has helped me and my chickens a great deal. Good Luck and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom