Hello from Wiarton Ontario Canada

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Hello everyone and Hi Gwen!
Just thought I'd introduce myself. I am thrilled to find you all. We have been at our farm about 2 years, and as we work full time we are starting off slowly, with about 35 hens (and too many roos, one of each breed and the odd spare). Actually it's gotten out of hand quite quickly!

I love hens that are heritage, blue, rare or fancy eggs layers. We have adult Dominiques, Welsummers, Cuckoo Marans, EE Americaunas, Partridge Chanteclers, Black Sumatras, Wheaten Pendesencas, Marradunna Basque Hens, Sicilian Buttercups, also blue Silkies, and white frizzle cochin boy. I like my birds friendly, and they get lots of attention here.

We are trying these breeds this year too and have young birds we are very pleased with. Standard Blue Laced Red and Silver Penciled Wyandottes, Blue Cochins & Andalusians, Barnevelders, Black Pendesencas, Silver Gray Dorkings and some Spangled Orloffs. I got Mille Fleur and Self Blue D'Uccles, as well as more blue silkies, and white frizzle cochins and bantam blue cochins.

We sell our Rainbow Eggs at the Around the Sound store in Owen Sound and we are thrilled with peoples response to them. It is so nice to be appreciated, and especially when you love what you are doing.

Oh I grow lavender as well and had 500 plants going into the winter and have about 40 now (and about 500 replacement cuttings raring to go)! Very cold winter.... for us too:/! I hope to sell locally, on the farm and maybe some pick your own. It is heaven out there, the views are lovely where we are and it is a dream come true working out there on the lavender. We did get a small lavender harvest last year, and it was a delight to process and dry it.

I am excited about getting two Belted Galloway cows it the fall and a boy calf for the freezer. A nice little Dexter wouldn't go amiss either.

We usually have a huge veggie garden though we were late getting started this because of all the chicken tractor building!!
and I have been away WWOOF-ing (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms) to volunteer to help out farms bigger animals and make cheese etc and bee-keep as I am not really from a farming background and I want to make sure I don`t harm any of my animals from my lack of knowledge.

I do sell soaps/lotions etc on ebay and rare antique linens on there for 9 years (Mill Pond Cottage). So if anyone needs ebay questions answered I`m happy to help.

I work away from home for a week or two at a time, so DH looks after the birds then. I hate to be away from the farm, but it means I can be home full time for weeks too, so I can handle it!

Look forward to meeting you all online and maybe in person too!
Hope to chat with you all,
Claire Smith

Back
Top Bottom