Hello from Wild and Wonderful WV

Chick-n-itis

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 3, 2011
The Mountains of WV
Wow, I'm so glad to finally start posting. My name is Tara and we are new to chickens and love every minute of it. I have been doing alot of reading and alot of learning. Right now we currently have 10 hens, 1 rooster, and 21 babies. We have Light Brahmas, Red Sex-Links, RIR, New Hampshire Reds, Banties and a pretty good mix of 6wk. olds including Welsummers, GLW, BPR, Australorp, EE, Golden Lakenvelder, PPR, SCM, and more RIR and Sex-Links. Our 10 hens started laying in mid July at 16wks. We are getting about 8 or 9 eggs a day and they are delicious. Unfortunately, in July we lost 1 rooster and 4 hens to neighboring dogs so I ordered 21 chicks from MPC. I will definitely order from them again. They had great customer service. Our rooster we have now also got hurt by the dogs too and we nursed him back to good health. You would never know he was injured except for his purple butt from the medicine. The best thing that came out of the attack was when he(Lucky) starting crowing again. We also built a bigger pen for everybody to be happy.....Sorry if my post is too long..... although I could go on and on.

welcome-byc.gif
from the Finger Lakes of New York. Sorry for your lossees, but best of luck with the new chickens!

thumbsup.gif

Welcome Chick-n-itis. I too lost hens to a neighbors dog. Clipped wings, better fencing and the judicious use of a pellet gun on the dog solved my problem, but than there is a leash or penned law here. The pellet gun may not be a good idea for everyone.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom