Hello from Wisconsin!

Hello and welcome to BYC; I love your breed variety! When you say your ISA Browns won't go inside the coop, what do you mean exactly? As in what do they do when it becomes too dark for them to see? I have had several groups of ISA Browns, and they are ALWAYS the last group to go inside. And I do mean group, because I buy 15 ISA Brown pullets at a time, and they hang together as a cohesive unit for their entire lives. I have found it's helpful for me to go inside as dusk nears, otherwise some of the ISA Browns will stay out with me until they literally can't see to find their coop door, and will bump into the coop sides until I pick them up and carry them in. Their reluctance to call it a day is also a problem when I try to integrate younger pullets of other breeds, because the younger pullets don't want to walk past older ISA Brown hens that are lingering at the1 door. I love ISA Browns; they have very special personalities; and one of their unique traits is they never want to miss a moment of daylight!

Hello everyone, We've had chickens for about two years now! We also have 49 chickens from ages 3yrs old to 4 weeks! The different breeds are; barred rock, ISA brown, white rock, speckled sussex, different varieties of Wyandottes, lavender, buckeye, golden polish, olive egger, easter egger, Americana, and black australorp! We love raising them and seeing how they change throughout different stages of their life, also for tick control living in rural Wisconsin, and can't forget the eggs!

The biggest challenge we face right now is one age group of 9 ISA browns, won't go into the coup at night. We've tried about everything you can to get them to go in from; putting peepers on the older hens, to putting them in the coup before the door closes at night. The coup is definitely big enough we don't believe overcrowding is an issue. As of now we just put them in the coup by hand at night. Any tips or advice to help would be great!
Welcome to BYC! :)

Back
Top Bottom