Hello from Wisconsin

mophead

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Sauk County, Wisconsin
Hi Kiddies!

I am currently enacting the stereotype of "middle-aged hag escaping the corporate rat race and the big salary and big city to find peace and contentment in the simple country life". Yep, nobody's ever done THAT before.

No chickens yet, still studying coop plans and breeds. My big worry is predators--my 5 wooded acres are loaded with racoons, hawks, owls, the occasionaly fox, and I've even seen something weasel-y in the neighborhood. So I need to build carefully, and no matter how good a job I do I know I must steel myself to suffering losses.

Wish me luck!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Good luck!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

For information on building a predator-protected coop, visit the Coops section:Coop Designs You might also learn from the Predator and Pests threads: Predators and Pests

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
So glad you joined us.

If you build your coop & run with all the great advice the Learning Center and Forums offer, then they will be safe inside. If you are planning to free range, there are also a lot of discussions on the topic and decisions to make about what losses you would be willing to accept.

Don't know if you have any chicken raising experience, but if you have not, then get ready for a fun and surprising experience.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You've been given some good advice and links by the other members. When you build your coop, be sure and use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire as there are a lot of predators that can either tear through chicken wire, or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any breed preference?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Predator proofing can be done and keep everybody safe. We have mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes, skunk, raccoons, bears and weasels and never had I had a break in. Think like a predator when building your coop and run. Build like YOU are going to live in it and don't want these things getting in. Never use chicken wire as it is too flimsy. Hardware cloth only. Sink Railroad ties into the ground and another on top. Build on top of the railroad ties. Nothing should be able to dig, break, scratch, claw, reach through, chew through, nothing! The tiniest spaces should be no bigger than ant or spider sized and you will do fine. If you want to get them out to free range, do so with supervision. I get my flock out each day for 30 to 60 mins and I stand over them and watch or work around the area in the yard. But I never leave them alone for even a moment as there are hawks abound.

Good luck with your build! Feel free to ask any questions you may have along the way and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom