Hello from Woodland Park, CO.

Fix14wd

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 7, 2014
Woodland Park, CO
Hello everyone, my name is Bill. My daughter and I have just completed builing a coop and picked up 5 hens at a recent swap. We've had the hens for 3 days now and yesterday we were rewarded with our first egg. Kind of exciting! I was told the birds are about 2 years old and their laying has slowed due to the season change and the fact they are starting to molt. I didn't think to ask what their previous diet consisted of , so we have them on layered feed as of now. I did see feed in the store that said it was geared for molt, but wasn't sure they needed it.
Anyway We have 2 Speckled Sussex, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Production Red, and 1 white bird that I was told is a Wyandotte?
I'll post a pic of our coop in a bit.
Take care!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congrats on your new flock! You can feed layer feed through a molt just fine. But there is a feed out there called Feather Fixer that is supposed to be really good for the molters. Helps them get through the molt quicker. I have never tried it however. I like to cook up some ground turkey or beef and feed that a few times a week for the birds during molting season. Meat is loaded with all kinds of amino acids and proteins that are needed for good feather growth. Feathers are made of 85% protein and the birds can have hard time meeting these requirements with just layer feed.

Enjoy your new flock! If you have any questions about anything, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

It sounds like you have a beautiful flock!

If you're not sure what your white bird is, you can post a picture of it either on here or on the What Breed or Gender section of these forums: What Breed Or Gender is This?

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC, Bill. Glad you decided to join our flock. Congratulations! It's always so exciting getting that first egg. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. You have some nice breeds there. Buff Orpingtons and Speckled Sussex are very friendly and gentle breeds. My children made lap pets out of ours, and now my granddaughter has made lap pets out of our Buff Orpingtons. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Thanks for the kind replies. Had no idea meat was good for a chickens feathers!! Interesting!
So is this a white Wyandotte?
No, Wyandottes have rose combs. The lighting in the photograph is not good and I can't really tell for sure what color the legs are. If they are yellow, it is a White Rock. If they are pinkish, it's probably a White Marans.

Back
Top Bottom