Hello from WV

mandierae

Hatching
8 Years
May 13, 2011
Hi all, my name is mandie. I am new to the site and to all things chicken. My interest in chickens started one day when my husband and I were talking about how nice it would be to have some fresh brown eggs. I started researching and found myself here at backyardchickens. I have been looking at this site for days and I love it!! I started off just wanting eggs, now I am excited to get started on my coop and gather my flock! After looking through the breeds page, I have norrowed my choice of breeds down to Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Rocks. I just want a small flock of about 12 hens. No roosters for me, thanks. Can anyone give me some advice as to which breed would be better?
I have also been trying to decide how big to make my coop. I know 2-3 sq ft per chicken is recommended but I am wondering if I should allow a little more room. I live in West Virginia and the winters can sometimes be pretty bad. So first I need to know if chickens can go outside in the winter? and if so is there a certain temp at which I should not allow them outside? If they have to be cooped up a lot in the winter, does the coop need to be bigger?
I want to start off with pullets. I don't want to have to keep any chicks in the house. I have dogs and cats that might think I brought them home a box of chew toys and I don't want that! So any tips on getting the pullets used to there new coop and to me?
As I said before I am new to this chicken stuff and I have alot of questions. This site has answered quite a few of them but the advice of others is priceless. I hope there are lots of folks out there with lots of advice.
I would like to say thank you to the people who run this site. It has been a big help to me and lots of others I am sure.
I would also like to thank anybody in advance that takes the time to answer my questions.

welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
from Maine I have both and both are very good layers

I have thougt about getting both breeds. I just wanted to see what everyones opinion was on it. Based on what I am hearing so far, I think it will be 6 of each. Thanks so much for the replies everyone!

Welcome to BYC! You have come to the coolest place on the internet for chicken knowledge.

I started with chickens last summer and the people of BYC have been great. This year I have tried hatching and buying chicks for even more chickeny joy. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

Chickens are OK with winter . They are little organic space heaters.

Don't bother with insulation. The coop needs to be draft-free and well ventilated. There is a link to panandchickens' page on my Weather Outside is Frightful blog post.

Back
Top Bottom