Hello from Wyoming

Changs Market

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 12, 2013
Thankfully not everywhere in the state of Wyoming is as unfriendly to chickens as Casper. Honestly Casper is the exception, most everywhere else in the state is chicken loving. We moved from Casper to Buffalo 2yrs ago and onto 2.5 acres. We always had plans of doing some sort of renewable food source and we have decided chickens would be the first step. We are very excited to start harvesting eggs and watching the chickens do their thing. So far planning and coop building is about we have done. We started the coop a week ago and have been enjoying the build process. If having chickens and eggs is 1/2 as much as building the coop we will very happy with our BYC endeavor. Any-who here's the progress so far. If you can't tell we like TREMORS movies. Still have more to do, but once the PERFECTION water tower is up, in IT'S ON!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Mick123/2_zps8107e46c.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Mick123/1_zps151e1eb1.jpg

Last edited:
:welcome Love that coop it is funny as heck, don't forget to put pictures in the BYC Coop section, or you can always try People magazine. Any idea what chickens you'll get for the coop?

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the response. As far what breed of chicken...not really sure yet. Just have to be very hearty to endure our winters. Any suggestions?

Your State is beautiful! Once I get my CDL ill finally go to your state only thing is I am scared driving Rocky Mountains west of Cheyenne... Heard rumors of truckers brakes smoking.. Jake brake will be on whole way!!

Your State is beautiful! Once I get my CDL ill finally go to your state only thing is I am scared driving Rocky Mountains west of Cheyenne... Heard rumors of truckers brakes smoking.. Jake brake will be on whole way!!

Yeah between Cheyenne and Laramie is a pretty steep section of interstate. Also dropping into Salt Lake City. Just start your descent very slow because once you overrun your brakes you can get yourself into serious trouble. Highway 16 drops into Buffalo from the top of the Big Horns at a peak of 9,666ft. It is very steep and last year we had 2 trucks loose their brakes. They both passed up the runaway truck ramps, both resulting in fatalities. A 3rd trucker used the ramp and was just fine.

Good luck on the CDL it is a great way to see the country and make money while doing it.

Not sure of what breed we will be getting. The local Co-op gets chicks in the spring so we have some time to decide. Still much to learn.

The breeds with rose or peacombs are popular farther north (less chance of frostbite), Wyandottes, Buckeyes, EE/Ameraucana, though hens with smaller single combs can fine, if you are looking primarily for egg production sex links might be a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom