Hello hello! Introducing myself to BYC whilst I am figuring out introducing my pullets to my chicke

There are several options to introduce new birds to the flock. You can divide the run so the older birds are on one side, and the younger, smaller birds are on the other. Feed along the dividing fence so they get used to eating together, but the smaller ones can back away if necessary. Pecking order can be established in a more subtle way like this. Another method is distraction. Hang a half head of cabbage just above head high of the bigger birds, so the have to jump to get at it. This will distract them from the smaller birds, at least temporarily. Introduce the new birds into the coop at night. Often the older birds will wake up and be like "Uhm... hello. Where did you come from?" And/or leave the crate where it is with an opening just large enough for the silkies (but too small for the older hens) so they will have a place to escape aggression. There will always be "reinforcement" in the pecking order, that's to be expected. As long as the little ones are allowed to escape without injury, it's normal. Eventually, they may learn to live in peace...

There are other options, but they escape me at the moment...
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom