1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello hello!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RachelFromTheBlackLagoon, May 4, 2009.

1. RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Wallingford, CT
    Hello everybody! I've been daydreaming about keeping chickens for quite some time but I've just recently begun to put serious thought into it. I fostered a RIR rooster for several months until he went to his permanent home in MA. The one and only thing preventing me from currently having chickens is that I rent my house, and though I highly doubt my landlord would mind, I would hate to end up in a situation where I was forced to move and part with them. However, I've recently been considering renting to own my house! If this happens, I plan to keep a small flock (probably between 5 and 8) Silkie bantam hens, maybe a couple Cochin and Polish bantams, too! I have a large yard with a pretty large unused wooden shed with electricity that could be converted into an awesome coop! My boyfriend and I are both very handy so it wouldn't take much to convert it and build a big run. The bird and animal hospital that I use for my pet rats sees chickens and has many chicken clients, so I have that base covered. I'm getting pretty anxious but I'm trying to put all of that energy into doing as much research as possible and, of course, looking at tons of chicken pictures!!! Since I am a chicken newbie, if anyone has any coop tips, advise or other chicken info that I may not have read, by all means, I'm very eager to learn!

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

3. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hi Rachel, [​IMG] from South Carolina!

Good luck to you, follow those dreams!

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida.

6. scrapnfool

scrapnfool Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Rogersville, MO
    [​IMG] from Missouri! Check out the different forum topics and member pages. There's a wealth of information there! Helped me tremendously when I started.

7. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri

8. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    [​IMG] from Indiana! This site has all the information you could ever need but be careful or you'll find yourself constantly logged on!

9. RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Wallingford, CT
    Thanks, all! I'm learning so much already! In fact, I think I'm already addicted to this forum! However, reading all of this info, your stories, seeing everyones' chicken pictures and coop plans is making it EXTREMELY difficult to restrain myself and wait for my own chicks!

10. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    [​IMG] from North Carolina![​IMG]

LOL! Don't even fight the chicken addiction! Just go ahead and get some! Fighting it is futile!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by