Hello/help please

andy1

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014

Hello can someone please diagnose this yolk. The hens are on pasture and are fed Wheat, Beans and Oats.

Thank you

Andy

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif

Does that egg smell bad at all?

Best wishes.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Did the egg smell bad, feel strange, or seem abnormal in any other way? It was probably just a fluke in the hen's ovary, though I'm not quite sure exactly what would have caused it.

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome.

No it didn't smell bad. It was a customer who brought it back to me eek. It was just the colour and look being the problems. The hens run with cockerels I wonder if it was an unplanned incubation

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! It does almost look like veins there, wonder if an egg was hidden in a box for a couple of days and enough hens sat on it / it was warm enough that it started to develop.

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome.

No it didn't smell bad. It was a customer who brought it back to me eek. It was just the colour and look being the problems. The hens run with cockerels I wonder if it was an unplanned incubation

Oh, so that's two eggs in the cup? I just assumed it was a doubleyolker, lol!

It looks like a rotted egg. Sometimes they can hide in the nest as another poster mentioned. Even on farms that collect eggs the very same day, sometimes, you get a sneaky one that evades collection until it's off.

It may have been fertile or something but then left to go cold for too long. Another theory is that you have an internal layer whose eggs are going bad inside her, which I initially thought when I thought this was a doubleyolker; I thought perhaps one internally laid egg began to decompose, then became shelled with a good yolk and white.

If they're two separate eggs, then it's probably just one that missed collection for a while. It happens.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom