Hello! How can I hand tame grown up chickies?

sesseljabs

Hatching
Jul 21, 2016
Hi, I am Sesselja and I am very interested in having chickens. I don't have one at home but I am on a farm with a few of them and I was just wondering if someone knew how I could hand tame them. They are very afraid of humans and every time I go in they run away. I have managed to make one little chick (1 ½ months old) to be a little bit more calm around people but the others are just....scared.
I mostly just need advice to make them calmer, not certainly really hand tame (though it would be good if I had time for that).

I am really interested in having chicken as home pets but I might not be allowed to do that :/

Thanks
See ya later (or, you know, chat)

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I am Sesselja and I am very interested in having chickens. I don't have one at home but I am on a farm with a few of them and I was just wondering if someone knew how I could hand tame them. They are very afraid of humans and every time I go in they run away. I have managed to make one little chick (1 ½ months old) to be a little bit more calm around people but the others are just....scared.
I mostly just need advice to make them calmer, not certainly really hand tame (though it would be good if I had time for that).

I am really interested in having chicken as home pets but I might not be allowed to do that
hmm.png

Thanks
See ya later (or, you know, chat)

Edited by Staff
Hi Sessljabs. Some chickens breeds are calmer than others, and depending on what conditions they were raised in, they may take a while to calm down.

Take some treats and sit in a chair near them, making a noise (like shaking the grain in a can or calling chick,chick,chick). Soon they will associate you with the food, and eventually they will come running when they see you.

Have fun, and
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to Backyard chickens. It is possible to have chickens in the home. Many people do that. You can check out the "people with house chickens thread." and get ideas from them. Maybe the little chick would be the best candidate. Everything loves to eat chickens which is why they are very skittish - their fear helps keep them alive.

Generally food is the way to a chickens heart. If you throw them a little treat when you come to visit, they will start looking forward to it and come closer to you.

I agree. The fastest way to a chicken's heart is through their stomachs! Mealworms, a bit of bread, or whatever you might give them as treats. Toss the treats closer and closer to where you are sitting. They will learn you are their favorite person because you have goodies for them. They will get used to you and take the treats out of your hand.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

The best way to tame chickens is lots a patience and food, it also depends on the breed of bird you have such as a leghorn. They will be much more difficult to tame than a bird such as a Plymouth Rock or a Amber Link.

I agree with Flock Master...slow and gentle movements, soft voice, and a lot of patience. I have also found that if I catch one (without causing too much trauma in the process) and carry it around and pet it can go a long way to taming a flighty bird. All when you set a bird down immediately and slowly walk away. Whenever I set one down and try and pick it up right away again seems to lose all the gains I just made. Best of luck!

Very interesting thread! My mixed flock of pullets (SLW, Sussex, favs, and polish) are very fond of shredded cheese. I have to keep my hand mostly closed to make it last! The day after I served it the first time, they immediately came over and pecked at my toes. This was a huge improvement in our relationship.

Very interesting thread! My mixed flock of pullets (SLW, Sussex, favs, and polish) are very fond of shredded cheese. I have to keep my hand mostly closed to make it last! The day after I served it the first time, they immediately came over and pecked at my toes. This was a huge improvement in our relationship.

That's good, but don't hand feed them too much other wise they'll start pecking people's fingers

Back
Top Bottom