Hello, I’ve got two 13 day old embden goslings, and was wondering, if/when I can take them down to l

You also have to be careful since they don’t have a mom to cover them with oil making them water proof. At 13 days old, you are the mom who judges when to end the swimming (ambient temp, weather, water temp, etc.) bring towels so you can warm and dry them off.

Another thing to think about is location. I live in the northern part of Idaho. It’s still cool 40’s at night and 60-70’s day time. That isn’t warm enough even to bring them out side let alone go swimming. Mine are also not going to our pond this year due to Canadian geese who are living there with 6 goslings. I don’t want to expose my goslings to any parasites or avian influenza while they are young with a developing immune system.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was also slightly worried about them eating grass, as I don’t know if or how much grit they would need to help break it down, if anyone could give me any tips? Thanks

Just a thought but why don't you let them practice swimming in the bathtub before the lake? One time we thought of taking our ducklings to the pond but it was a nightmare trying to get them to come back out where we wanted. Just a thought. ;)

Thanks, I was also slightly worried about them eating grass, as I don’t know if or how much grit they would need to help break it down, if anyone could give me any tips? Thanks
I used scissors to finely chop up some fodder (barley grass) to feed to my chicks and a little sprinkle of chick grit. That way it gets them used to it without becoming a problem early on. :)

Just a thought but why don't you let them practice swimming in the bathtub before the lake? One time we thought of taking our ducklings to the pond but it was a nightmare trying to get them to come back out where we wanted. Just a thought. ;)
Yes they have been in the bath a few times and loved it, I might leave it a week or two before I let them have a go in the lake, thanks

Back
Top Bottom